Heads up. Apple are looking at your photos.

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by kojack, Aug 6, 2021.

1. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    What a joke they all are now....Trying to backpedal and get the kool-aid flowing. Even their staunch users are turning on them and they are in major reactor meltdown mode right now. Every 15 mins apple releases a new statement regarding this. TOO LATE Timmy, Craig et al. Damage is done, no one trusts you anymore. Those that do are insanely stupid.

etern4l likes this.
  2. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's not that they're all dumb, it's that Apple is really really good at loyalty and advertising. HW isn't that bad either when compared to everything on the market. The thing that bugs me is the captive ecosystem that doesn't allow much freedom to not install iTunes to manage the files directly.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/why-is-android-more-popular-globally-while-ios-rules-the-us/
    • Android holds a massive global market share lead over iOS
    • iOS holds a slight market share lead over Android in the U.S.
    According to Statcounter, the global market share looks like this:
    • Android: 72.2%
    • iOS: 26.99%
    However, within the U.S., that market share looks like this:
    • iOS: 59.17%
    • Android: 40.54%
    US rooting for Jobs vs Android.... go figure.

Anyway. The Kool-Aid is good apparently for 60% of the US that love their iCrap. Will this make a big dent moving forward with 99.99% of Apple users? NO Does it shed light on what tech companies are capable of? YES

The mining of personal data on a device vs through a connection is a leap that shouldn't be made proactively by a company w/o cause. Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should do it.

The best part of Apple is the forcing of other companies to redesign their hardware to be more sleek and powerful. The worst part is the brainwashing of people to buy their products that are overpriced and captive.

Android opens the doors to OEM's to produce competitive HW vs Apple just making their 1-2 devices per year @ inflated prices / special connectors / itunes to load/backup anything.

Apple doesn't need to be competitive when they're making the HW / SW and no one else gets to play in their sandbox. I smirked when I saw the EU is potentially going to force them to use USB-C across the board. https://www.macrumors.com/guide/eu-charging-standard-proposals-and-apple/

[​IMG]

6730b and etern4l like this.
  3. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Looking at the recent dumbed down AW laptops, it's not clear that Apple's influence on computer hardware market is quite so positive.

Tenoroon and Reciever like this.
  4. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    What's funny is that my mid range dell 14 5406 is fully upgradable. Ram, SSD, etc. So they are not having quite the effect as they think. As for the M1, that's not as AMAZING as Apple would have you believe either.

etern4l likes this.
  5. ronaldheld

ronaldheld Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So what offers more privacy/ :IOS or Android?

6. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Android, since you can control the OS. Plus, The data that google skims off you is browsing history, location data and things like that. Things I care less about. Apple is looking at your personal photos and messages LOOKING for a crime. It's a totally different use of your data. Photos and message are private, my location is no big deal for me.

6730b likes this.
  7. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    Android offers more control over more than just privacy though too. Since it's an open source OS it's configurable for much much more than the locked down iOS by the user. If you wanted to you could modify every single file on Android through ADB commands or take an image of the core files and adjust them as needed to your liking and then apply them to the phone. ROM's are a prepackaged way to do this w/o the technical knowhow to do it yourself. Pretty much every phone has a "ROM" version available for use because nerds like to tinker with things and improve performance upon a release from Google / OEM. OEM images tend to have their own bloatware attached to them and in some cases a lot more than others. Google devices have the least amount to strip off when released compared to say Samsung / LG phones. There are other OEM's that provide light bloatware to "skin" a particular branding but not all of the ancillary "apps" / "controls" that others apply.

Papusan, 6730b and kojack like this.
  8. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes, all of this as well. I was just referring to the amount and what type of data collection between the two. As mentioned, since android is more open, you can see what's going on...where as with spiOS You have no idea what apple is collecting from you. We know more now, like going through your messages and photos without you knowing.

etern4l likes this.
  9. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    Everything they can since it's a closed system.

kojack likes this.
  10. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Exactly my point.

etern4l likes this.