Headphone Advice

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Vudew, May 23, 2017.

1. Vudew

Vudew Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,
    I am looking for headphones which are good for travel and gaming. I travel quite frequently, and need headphones to use with my phone on the plane, but will be good for gaming at the hotel. I would like them to at least have the option of bluetooth.

2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    What's your budget?

3. Vudew

Vudew Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would like to keep it reasonable. top end $300ish. but would be more comfortable in the $200 range...

4. Fire_Child22

Fire_Child22 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Unless using a portable AMP, try and keep the Ω below 40... the lower the easier to drive from your phone and laptop jack.

As you are flying, I'd recommend a noise cancelling/isolating headphone. These don't leak sound as much as semi open, or open headphones but inversely, are better designed to keep ambient and outside noise out. Try a few as comfort in my opinion is more important than squeezing that last bit of sound quality out of your budget.

Check out InnerFidelity's youtube channel and site. They for me, are quite comprehensive reviewer and don't dive too deeply into the subjective and often pretentious world of audiophiles. They have best in class headphone on their page, and often the higher rated ones are cheaper then more expensive ones, so they don't hold bias on cost = performance. They really helped me choose my headphone type and budget and I'm really happy with my choice.

I don't have sound cancelling headphones, so I can't recommend a specific one, but I can suggest looking at in ear options too, many flying people prefer these to over ear options but I personally dislike things in my ear.

Finally, steer clear of "gaming" branded headphones, these will be bass heavy and not so defined in sound representation. Remember, all headphones get tested along the same lines, frequency response for bass to and high end... they normally have a sweet spot, make that sweet spot where you like the emphasis on. Ie, bass, vocals, cymbal ect.

Hope this helps.

Phoenix likes this.
  5. SuSybeaSt

SuSybeaSt Newbie

Reputations:
    Well as for me the best headset for gaming is SteelSeries Siberia V2. Certainly, I like that this headset has inline volume control switch and microphone can be retracted if you don't need it for the game. That is so useful! And yes, being a big player of PUGB I play this game without micro. At the same time, the sound is so amazing! I can easily hear the steps of my enemies :p

6. Fire_Child22

Fire_Child22 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    If anyone is interested in buying some awesome headphones, Massdrop teamed up with HiFiMan to make a custom once off version of their 4xx model (based on the 400s I originally wanted to buy) for $170USD....

To put this in perspective, it's a $300 to buy the 400S it's based on, however it's got the upgraded ear pads that's used on the $500USD model that I have, but due to it's lower ohms, doesn't require an amp. (But would sound better with one obviously.)

Basically it's a great buy for great tech if your in the market or thinking about getting a headphone that rivals the historically best value for money Sennheiser HD600 and HD650s headphones, that absolutely require an amp to drive.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hifiman-he4xx-planar-magnetic-headphones

Review of the original 400S (without modified earpads)

Note: These are planar magnetic headphones, not your normal headphone driver. This means they won't play nice with some types of amps. There are plenty of reviews out there that suggest what amps work well with planar magnetic drivers from budget amps to high end valve amps.

7. hien34

hien34 Newbie

Reputations:
    When you mention gaming, do you use the mic/voice chat a lot? If so, I can't vouch for the mic quality since it's not a "boom" mic, but some good, fun multi-purpose (gaming, music, wired/wireless) are the current lineup of Sony wireless headphones.
    https://www.sony.com/electronics/headphones/t/headband-headphones

The XB950N1 (noise canceling) and B1 are marketed as "Extra Bass" but are actually quite good overall (don't need to enable "Extra Bass" unless you really need extra oomph), support AptX and wired mode. These earcups can swivel for flat packing, but can be bulky.

The "h.ear on" MDR-100ABN is wireless/noise-canceling and comes in an array of colors. This is their higher-end one compared to the XBs. These earcups fold inward so you'll get a "ball" but it's still a bit bulky.

I own the XB950B1s and they're warm-sounding and can lay on the bass (but I don't feel it's overpowering with the enhancement switched off) if it's present. I mostly listen to female vocals, trance, Chvrches, Jpop/Kpop so your tastes may make your choices different. I like them because their relatively deep cups and soft padding are good for my ears that stick out. =)

Unfortunately, a Best Buy sale just ended on them, but they're typically on sale here and there.

Just so you know, I also own various earphones/headphones and prefer a warm sound over reference. My "high-end" headphones actually get less usage, because my wireless headphones are more convenient to use when I'm mobile.

Currently own:
    Yamaha EPH-100
    JVC HA-FX99X
    Sony XB950B1
    Beyerdynamic DT770
    Audeze LCD-X