HDX16T: Fan always on?

Discussion in 'HP' started by lemonspeaker, Apr 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marengo

Marengo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Normally fan activity is controlled by a sensor.When temperature goes higher than a certain level the fan revs up.
    Usually there are various fan speeds that are relevant to certain temperature levels.
    Most important is that it is up to the manufacturer to specify the exact temperatures that have to be reached before the fan changes its speed.This is controlled by BIOS.

I remember that my old HP dv6000t was very silent when I bought it, with original BIOS.But when I upgraded the BIOS it became much more sensible to temperature raise and therefore the fan kicked up more frequently and at lower temperatures.This is because HP was aware of the Nvidia overheating problems with Geforce 8000 series cards so the only solution that they could find at the moment was keep the system as cool as possible.This was done by increasing fan speed.

So BIOS version does matter when it comes to fan speed.You have to find which BIOS version has less aggressive fan settings.
    Another solution is to buy a notebook cooler and hope that the fan won't kick as frequently.

2. lemonspeaker

lemonspeaker Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This is stupid. It is not a feature. Its ridiculous that my hdx16't fan comes on and stay on until i pull the plug.

3. optimustarzan

optimustarzan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My hdx16's fan come on when plugged in but I'm pretty sure it turns off eventually. IMO its not that loud anyway, no where near vacuum cleaner level as someone said. It doesn't really bother me. You must be a light sleeper.:D

4. Persnickety

Persnickety Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Actually, I feel for the guy. I hate constant noise. I don't mind, say, kids screaming, but a steady noise gets to me. Personally, I will get rid of the X200s (which should be here tomorrow! Yeah!) if it turns out it's loud. If it is, however, I wouldn't know where to go from there.
    I really, really, don't want something where the fans are loud. I don't even have any beebs and audio messages on the computer I'm typing on, because audio and especially constant audio is noise to me. Same thing with background music.

5. agiorgitis

agiorgitis Newbie

Reputations:
    Maybe when it's plugged in, cpu is set to run at 100%. Try changing the power themes...

6. bker

bker Newbie

Reputations:
    Are you running Windows 7? There's a new setting under Power Options, under Processor power management, called System cooling policy; on battery is set to "Passive" (slow the processor before increasing fan speed), and Plugged in is set to "Active" (Increase the fan speed before slowing the processor).

I also have an HDX16T and changing the "plugged in" setting to "passive" eliminates the symptom you described.

I would recommend creating a separate Power Plan for the specific situations in which you would prioritize quiet over CPU performance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.