HDR vs G-SYNC

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by keefypants, May 22, 2019.

1. keefypants

keefypants Newbie

Reputations:
    Currently looking at buying one of the many different variaitons of the Asus ROG Zephyrus laptops. Been trying to look for one with both g-sync or hdr, but all of them seem to be none/either/or. Are there any slim factor laptops like the zephyrus asus or not with gpu performance along the lines of 2070 or 2080 max-q, and have both g-sync and HDR?

If not, which one feature (HDR vs GSYNC) would likely to have a bigger impact on gaming experience with a laptop?

Budget isnt really the biggest issue, and more about having the above features in the slim form factor like the asus zephyrus or msi stealth.

Will be buying in the US, and will be used for gaming during extended work trips domestic and international

2. Vu Minh Hoang Dang

Vu Minh Hoang Dang Newbie

Reputations:
    I believe that currently, there is no option for a slim form factor laptop that supports both G-Sync and HDR. Imo, G-Sync is more beneficial for gaming. However, if you simply want a better experience for everything (e.g. watching movies), than you should choose HDR.

3. gthirst

gthirst Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The Lenovo Legion Y740 advertises G-Sync and Dolby Vision HDR. However, it only supports "streaming" HDR, so it doesn't work in games. I'll take G-Sync over HDR in games. Very few games implement HDR as it is.

4. Mark Haughey

Mark Haughey Newbie

Reputations:
    There is a trade-off between G-Sync and Battery Life. Intel Optimus technology disables the GPU's ability to provide G-Sync in the laptop's internal panel display to drastically improve battery life. Any laptop with G-Sync needs to live next to a power plug and makes lugging the laptop around for work more cumbersome than productive. As for HDR, I would rely on an external display since I would expect professional content creators, designers, coders to have a workstation which includes multiple monitors. I strongly suggest re-evaluating laptops which invest into screen technology and re-invest into higher quality hardware such as more powerful CPU's, expandable RAM or SSD's. The only reason I liked the Zephyrus was charging over USB C, but even that had too many drawbacks with thermal throttling and not providing enough power to charge. It slowed down the rate the battery drained but it was not able to charge while under load and caused stress on the battery. Also, the underside was built better than most people complaining about the ASUS say. However, this design is so gimmicky I wouldn't be caught dead using this in my office. The performance issue with the design is the laptop's inability to have the lid closed while outputting video to an external display for a workstation or multi-monitor display. This causes overheating issues which ASUS solves by clothes-lining CPU and GPU performance, causing large drops in FPS which can be frustrating for a competitive gamer. For a number of reasons including some of which I've already shared I chose MSI GS75 Stealth 479.

5. vegetaeater

vegetaeater Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not with models which include switchable graphics modes - such as the Y740 and the Zephyrus.

In answer to the OP - do you play games or watch movies? And do you play AAA games, or eSports titles?

If you only play Overwatch / CS:GO / DOTA2, then sure, go for a non G-sync model.
    However if you want to be playing the latest and greatest this year (and the next 2 years), G-sync is 100% the way to go.