HDMI Port... what are the uses?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Everyone, Jun 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Everyone

Everyone Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm aware that this is a complete newbie question, but I've looked around and can't find a ton of definitive information on the HDMI port's capabilities. I mean, I know what HDMI is (that's what all the information you can google/wiki tells you... specifications, etc) but I don't know exactly what you can DO with it.

So... what do you do with a high def port? Connect a high def monitor? How does this link together with the HD rendering capabilities of the 8 series GPUs?

I don't need a technical brief, I'm simply looking for general uses to put the port to. :)

2. Petrov

Petrov Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You can play all those high def bit torrents of movie trailers on your High Def TV through the HDMI port!:D

Petrov.

3. Jumper

Jumper Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you have a TV, monitor, or stereo receiver that accepts HDMI input, you can use HDMI to send video+soung signals to it.

Or you can use an HDMI -> DVI adapter and connect to LCDs.

Its just a connector for video and sound.

4. wave

wave Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    With an adapter you can convert it to DVI-D so you can connect external LCDs (not just HD-TV but any LCD) with a DVI port. The quality is better then analog especially at high resolutions.

5. Everyone

Everyone Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I see. Thanks for the help. So basically it boils down to: you can send any high def media on your laptop through the connection to any high def playing device you own, eh?

That's kind of neat... kind of! I don't own a high def TV yet so it'll most likely never get used... but whatever. ;)

6. Jumper

Jumper Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's not limited to high-def media... It's generic display output like DVI is. You can use HDMI to connect a second display device (an HDTV or an LCD) and use it to display your Windows desktop, programs, movies in full-screen, etc. It lets you connect a second monitor.

HDMI is exactly the same as DVI electrically.

7. Hello-

Hello- Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Except HDMI includes audio.

8. tokerblue

tokerblue Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You can hook up a laptop to a HDTV and use it as a monitor, but TV's typically have an overscan of 3-10%, so you'll lose quite a bit of the outside edges of the picture.

If you have a video card that can compensate for the overscan or allows custom resolutions, the entire desktop can be fit.

9. maunakea

maunakea Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's easy to wiki before you post.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdmi

The High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) is an all-digital audio/video interface capable of transmitting uncompressed streams. HDMI is compatible with High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) Digital Rights Management technology. HDMI provides an interface between any compatible digital audio/video source, such as a set-top box, a DVD player, a PC, a video game console, or an AV receiver and a compatible digital audio and/or video monitor, such as a digital television (DTV) ...