HDMI Audio In/Out Issues - Look for answers and ask new questions here

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Quontum, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quontum

Quontum Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Got the system tuesday, and have been trying to play Xbox thru the hdmi input, and I'm getting no sound just video.

is this primarily due to lack of audio drivers for the hdmi input on the 7970m? And this will get fixed when AMD/Dell release the proper drivers?

---Moderator Note---
    If you arrived at this thread searching for solutions because you are having trouble with no HDMI input/output signal with the M18x R1 or M18x R2, you're in the right spot.
    This is a common problem with an easy solution.

Trim back the plastic on the tip end of the cable 1/16 to 1/8 inch so the connector can be seated deeper into the HDMI port. It is merely a matter of the cable tip not reaching deep enough into the HDMI port. The plastic hits on the chassis and by trimming it back the problem will be resolved.

Example:
    [​IMG]

This thread is for HDMI in/out AUDIO issues. The thread for HDMI in/out VIDEO issues is:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=686150

2. ARGH

ARGH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    probably due to the immature gpu drivers. just wait a while.

3. sk3tch

sk3tch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You could look into purchasing an Astro MixAmp - you can then use the TOSLink out and enjoy Dolby Headphone (simulated surround)...pretty much the best Xbox 360/PS3 audio experience today. :)

4. DumbDumb

DumbDumb Alienware !Wish money wasn't the problem.

Reputations:
    ok ok look guys.. theres no need to run out and buy any thing.. just download these..drivers.. ati beta 12.5

then once installed go to control panel and make sure on recording devices you have HDMI enabled.. then unplug your mic.. and turn on what ever your trying to run..

5. Quontum

Quontum Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    No worky, I installed 12.5 and did the recording devices then and still no sound out, just video. I guess I'll just have to wait till official drivers come out and see if t fixes it.

6. Wes174

Wes174 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has this been fixed? I will be wanting to do the same thing with my Xbox/laptop

7. DumbDumb

DumbDumb Alienware !Wish money wasn't the problem.

Reputations:
    Did you unplug your mic? i know on the r1 or at least for me if i have a mic plugged in the sound will not work..

8. Quontum

Quontum Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I fixed this by using the 12.5 drivers and then installing 12.6 beta on top of that, now xbox/ps3 work just by plugging in hdmi into the input and once xbox/ps3 is on, screen switches to it. Also the media buttons control the volume, which i read somewhere that it didn't but it works.

9. TurbodTalon

TurbodTalon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The GPUs don't actually drive much of anything during HDMI-In operations. The only times that I have had no sound through HDMI-In was when I did not have the actual IDT sound driver installed. Microsoft's generic driver never gave me any sound. Glad you got it fixed.

10. exodus2000

exodus2000 Newbie

Reputations:
    So you just installed the new drivers and it worked?Or did you just need to turn the volume up?What media did you use?Windows Media?Thx.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.