HDD no longer detectable after NVME install

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by KY_BULLET, Apr 28, 2018.

1. KY_BULLET

KY_BULLET Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    "Pertains to the system in my signature"

I used Macrium reflect to clone my Intel NVME over to a 1tb 960 pro. All went well doing this but my 1tb Seagate Barracuda is no longer detectable under "This PC" or in disk management.

Things I've tried:
    Different data ports and power ports on my mobo. I haven't tried different data and power wires though. But like I said, it was all fine beforehand.

I also tried running windows memory diagnostics tests to see if I had corrupted something in my memory, to no avail.

Any other suggestions to try before canning this $50 drive and buying something better?

Really it was just a drive I had in my drawer so if its junk, no biggie. Needed a reason to go buy a samsung 2.5 ssd anyway:D

Thanks in advance!

Charlie

Vistar Shook likes this.
  2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Is the drive detected in your BIOS?

KY_BULLET and Vistar Shook like this.
  3. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If the drive is detected in the BIOS there is hope.
    Two days ago my 2TB firecuda SSHD just died, doesn't show in diskmanagement or the BIOS, bummer.

KY_BULLET likes this.
  4. KY_BULLET

Reputations:
    Nope doesn't look like it is so I guess it's scrapped.
    MSI_SnapShot.jpg MSI_SnapShot_11.jpg

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  5. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I got the 2TB Micron1100 as a replacement, it is not a samsung but at $320 not bad for a backup drive.

6. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    It is rare but sometimes cables do fail.

Does it even spin up at all? Any clicking and the like on the drive?

Moz@rt and KY_BULLET like this.
  7. KY_BULLET

Reputations:
    Yep spins up just isn't showing up anywhere.

And I just now tried a different data cable plugged into a different header and even tried a totally different power cable at another port on my PSU just for the heck of it.

hmscott likes this.
  8. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Any markings on the traces of the SATA connections? Got a spare SATA cable or another PC to try?

Sometimes when I make alterations to my m4600 the SATA connected drives would disappear. Though I credit that to just being an older high mileage laptop.

Otherwise its likely to be dead, just seems a bit strange to occur immediately the same time you installed your m.2 drive

9. KY_BULLET

Reputations:
    I've tried different cables and a different SATA header on the mobo (was on #6, went to #5), no go. I guess it died. Also no markings on the connections.

hmscott likes this.
  10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    How long was it sitting in the drawer?

There was a time when old drives would after a time get thick grease / lubricant freezes after being powered on for the first time in a while, works once, then when powered off, it cools down and freezes, and when powered up they disappear - failing head / arm movement POST.

Try slamming it down on the desk - flat - slap it down on the label side - make sure not to hit fine parts on a circuit board, adjust the area of force, edge of table so as to not hit the circuit board if part of it faces the "face" side.

That should break the stiction of the arm for POST and it might work.

Another way is to "warm up" the drive so it softens the lubricant and free's motion, same idea, depends on what kind of tools you have.

You could also try tapping the drive on it's side on the desk, "tap tap", turn over to the other edge, tap tap, and try that. Less shock to the system, but for different force angle.

Good Luck :)

Edit: I came back to amend my post. It's been a while since I worked on these issues, and recalled that I warmed up the drives *before* thwacking them. Usually sitting them on top of always on drives would be enough until they heated through and through.

And I also recall some took to being whacked on the corners, some on the edge, some face down. And, some needed this every time to start up... so recover the data after you bring it up and then retire it... most would continue to work as long as they were on 24/7...a reboot works, but don't let them cool down.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    alexhawker, Papusan and KY_BULLET like this.