HDD for media(Plex) External or Internal

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Psiwentyl, Dec 3, 2019.

1. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It sounds like maybe the TV itself can't handle the decoding. It's hard to say. You can force transcoding by changing the quality of the movie to something lower than original quality. That may allow you to stream files if your laptop can keep up with it. You can also look at the plex web page to see what your CPU is running at in your laptop and it may also give you clues as to why it is buffering.

Psiwentyl likes this.
  2. Psiwentyl

Psiwentyl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok, thank You. I will see what happens when i connect new router, will it change anything. @Chastity can you please explain when you have a moment if i need that wifi module at all if my laptop is connected to router via Lan?

Taking in mind everything you guys said i see there wont be any difference if i use external hdd like Wd My book or internal SSD Evo correct? And it wont make any difference to laptop work, like efficiency drop or overheating because with both internal or external it will use its own computing powers and it will basically be same?

If thats the case i'll probably go with Evo as my 2nd drive is just 120GB so can easily upgrade it to 1TB and that will be enough for daily need and for the rest i can still use external portable ones that i have.

Am i right here:)?

3. Psiwentyl

Reputations:
    My main concern here before moving to other issues

Is there a difference to either streaming movies to TV or laptop work(overheating, drop in efficiency) if its External HDD, Internal SSD or External portable HDD? Or it will be same with all 3 cases?

4. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    USB 3 is above the speed hdd can output.

Ssd is a different matter though

Psiwentyl likes this.
  5. Psiwentyl

Reputations:
    Not sure what you meant by that in relation to that choice :)

Anyway i think i'll go with External WD My Book or WD Elements. Not sure what is the difference still looking for it.

From what i found both have same drives and the only difference is that My book is having additional software for backup, hardware encryption etc. But i will use it mainly for movies library. I have EaseUS todo Backup software for backups and also will keep my main data on portable WT my Passport ultra.

Do i need My book, does it have something better vs Elements? Its more expensive.

Thanks,

6. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    If you are wired, then no. I thought you were going wireless, and wanted the fastest speeds and lowest latency to use with your new wifi router.

Psiwentyl likes this.
  7. Psiwentyl

Reputations:
    I bought Asus Ax-88u router. One of the top ones and i am still having issues even though its just few metres. Yesterday had no problem in streaming 18GB movie during day, but then late night it was buffering every 10 seconds. Really what could be the reason. I thought maybe TV but why it can stream without any issues at different hours?

Thanks,

8. Padraig O Cuinn

Padraig O Cuinn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Maybe the problem is the fact that more people use the broadband line at night slowing the connection down.

Psiwentyl likes this.
  9. Psiwentyl

Reputations:
    What would you suggest? Checking channels and manually picking the one with least usage? I have it on auto in router but assumed it would pick the right ones.

Also with this router i have option to put 160mhz in 5GHZ, but i am not sure if TV can even handle it, does it even make any sense in turning it on?

10. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This still doesn't seem like its a network problem..

Start by analyzing the problem instead of throwing money at it..

What is the model of the TV for starters?
    Does it even support anything more than 2.4Ghz WiFi?

Is there a way to run a speedtest in the TV itself to evaluate the connection speed?

What codecs(aka extensions) where those two files?
    Might be the TV choking on some type of codecs and not others are already said.

Psiwentyl likes this.