hd graphics major performance boost trick

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by JRE84, Sep 9, 2018.

1. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    also your core clock speed is 2ghz should be boosted to 2.8ghz if your running full speed as you claimed. not calling you a liar but I highly doubt with voltage tweaks you can negate the throttling. I have to run at 1.2ghz to avoid throttling.

curious could you run 3dmark cloudgate

2. JRE84

Reputations:
  3. pipyakas

pipyakas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i5-4210U-Notebook-Processor.115081.0.html
    https://ark.intel.com/products/81016/Intel-Core-i5-4210U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-2_70-GHz
    maybe pay a little bit of attention to the research? All info source lead me to the exact specs you're seeing, 1000mhz max for the iGPU and 2.7ghz max for CPU single core boost, 2.4ghz for CPU dual core boost. My 4210u is not throttling one bit. I didn't set the CPU to maximum performance so it didn't stick to 2.4ghz, but even if I do so the result would be no different
    This is a 3DMark CloudGate run with my HD4400 (ignore the 840M name report, I disabled it but 3dmark still read both gpu names and the 840M has all its specs 0mhz)
    [​IMG]
    https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/28687799?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  4. JRE84

Reputations:
    thats pretty impressive. remember this trick is too help 99 percent of all users trying to game on hd graphics.. your the 1 percent. thanks for sharing though. i got a 25 percent boost in framerates by lowering cpu speed and thats on three different laptops all with intel hd 4400.

5. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭ค ̷̧̟̭̺͕̜̦̔̏̊̍ͧ͊́̚̕͞ עٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ

Reputations:
    you're limiting the CPU to make more TDP available to the iGPU, that's nothing revolutionary

6. JRE84

Reputations:
    i know its a small trick nothing special....but when youtube has zero videos on this then I think it should be brought to less educated peoples attention

7. JRE84

Reputations:
    I don't know when I looked up tricks to boost my igpus performance nothing worked. they would suggest razer gamebooster and settings changed to high perfomance. nothing i saw talked about powerlimit throttling in detail. one or two videos on changed short turbo power max but limit throttling remained. and zero videos on lowering cpu speed to increase igpu performance.

perhaps you can share a video on this. maybe i can use other tricks to completely remove powerlimit throttling.. thanks in advance @Mobius1

8. pipyakas

pipyakas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    First, you need to remove everything else out of the equation, basically make sure 100% that you're getting throttled by power limit. Use dual-channel ram, clean up/re-paste the cpu so that it's not getting hot, check the BIOS to see if there's any TDP lockdown options to disable. Then, go on with XTU

If you're trying to lower CPU clockspeeds to allow for more iGPU power headroom, then try undervolting first is always a better option since you can reduce CPU's TDP without sarcrificing too much actual CPU performance.

Also, for better realtime management of the iGPU, try using HWMonitor + RTSS, it can show the exact iGPU clockspeed + powerdraw on an OSD ingame, so you can see how much you can get away with leaving the CPU at higher clocks

There's nothing wrong with sharing informations, but this is old news (not sarcasm btw). If you know the existence of the GPD Win and GPD Win 2, you can see how far the community is pushing a low-TDP chipset with Intel iGPU via XTU

JRE84 likes this.
  9. JRE84

Reputations:
    thanks alot for the heads up

I tried undervolting bios changes ect that you recommeded and nothing helped. only thing that works is slowing down cpu on all three laptops.....side note this trick doesnt work with amd

I was wondering if you could link an article showing this trick and what others have done with common laptops. like a link or something. its cool being told its old news when I was searching for hours with 0 tricks to boost intel performance. then coming up with' a solution to be told after extensive research that everyones doing this....my video isnt really searchable so the question is....if this is common knowledge post one video from youtue billions of videos showing someone else doing this. or one article. powerlimit throttling is well known yes but lowing tdp by underclocking isn't exactly well known or common practice. to specifically boost igpu performane it's like people didn't put 2 and 2 together.

10. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Iirc ram speed is also a factor right?

Increasing the system ram performance may also give a performance boost but investment on return isn't as great of course.

JRE84 likes this.