HBM2 AMD iGPU's in Intel CPU's

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Templesa, Nov 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Raven Ridge will likely make a sizeable dent because the Vega igp is equivalent to GT 1030 (if not better - depending on the system RAM speed used)... that's what the point of an IGP basically is, to cut into the dedicated entry level GPU performance space... or at least, provide that level of performance for those who don't need more than that.

Also bear in mind that the AM4 platform used will allow for upgrades to Raven Ridge with Ryzen 2, 3 that will likely have Navi igp... unless of course OEM's decide to solder the APU and prevent people from upgrading.
    I'm not entirely certain on OEM history with APU's that are socketed or soldered. If I'm not mistaken, a lot of OEM's made the APU's they used as replaceable.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  2. laserbullet

laserbullet Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Does the GT 1030 have any significant market share to be taken away, though? I confess that's not a market segment I watch much, but I rarely see a mention of dGPU laptops packing less than a 1050.

Templesa likes this.
  3. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I fail to see how that is important. Radeon (an AMD brand) is stated explicitly in the video, and AMD is mentioned 5 times in Intel's press release, including a quote from an RTG exec.

I doubt it. Last 3 mobile APU gens have been BGA. AMD mobile went BGA around the same time as Intel did. Considering these APUs are intended for thin-and-light devices, zero chance of socketed versions I'd imagine. You have to remember that the last socketed mobile APUs, Trinity and Richland, were actually in thick bulky gaming notebooks like the ill-fated MSI GX60/70.

4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    BGA FTW!! :)

Templesa likes this.
  5. Templesa

Templesa Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    GT 1030 goes under MX150 for mobile GPU, and yeah, I see a decent amount of MX150. The problem with it seems to be that it's a little too expensive for it's own good- for around the same price you can usually get a regular non Ti 1050 equipped notebook.
    Once the MX150 drops to around 940mx levels you'll see it a bit more I think.

6. Templesa

Templesa Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Booo! Boo this BGA! LOL

hmscott likes this.
  7. Templesa

Templesa Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm actually hoping it's faster because AFAIK I haven't seen any of the APU's mention HBM2 yet.

hmscott likes this.
  8. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Same here.
    Besides, we don't know how AMD arrived at the said iGP performance. Was is via single-channel, or dual-channel? Was it tested in an AMD reference laptop (which AMD really needs to start making themselves to optimize everything) or OEM laptop?
    Also, which RAM speeds were used for testing?

We also don't know if the Vega IGP comes with HBM2 or not (it might not with this iteration because you'd think it would be one of the features touted as part of this APU's design - plus, if HBM2 manufacturers have yield issues, it might result in lack of availability). If it does come with HBM2, then the igp likely won't need to rely on the system RAM... however, if it doesn't, then system RAM becomes a decisive factor in terms of GPU and possibly CPU performance given the APU connects everything via Infinity Fabric... so higher system RAM speeds would (at least theoretically) increase all aspects of the APU... HBM or no HBM (unless of course AMD was able to lower the latencies)... though, this APU has only 1 CCX... so latencies wouldn't really exist or would be so low to the point of being negligible.

9. laserbullet

laserbullet Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Based on the fact that each of the announced Raven Ridge laptops only come with 8GB of RAM, I would hope there's VRAM of some sort packed in.

10. kothletino

kothletino Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

So Radeon logo is stated explicitly @ ?what time? in this mf video, Sir?
    Tell me, please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.