Having problems with my RTX 2060 Mobile GPU

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by kiteman112000, Apr 30, 2020.

1. kiteman112000

kiteman112000 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It seems they are quite close to others I've seen. But still, the perf 16 shows up in the log. It's like everything I do the performance is capper by low you utilization. Dual channel RAM was the other recommended option, but is there anything else it could be? Especially weird because it wasn't acting up just as soon as Monday. And FWIW I did run Firestrike back before all this and the score was the same as today.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    A lack of dual-channel memory may be holding back your performance, but if you haven't changed your notebook's hardware since the problems occurred, it's doubtful it's the source of the problem.

The GPU being capped by its power limit ...is not abnormal.

That said, if your 3DMark scores are normal, then I think an overall problem with the notebook can be ruled out. It's probably related to software at this point. Play with your in-game settings in Warzone (especially if you're using ray tracing; you might want to turn it off), and double-check the Nvidia Control Panel doesn't have special settings for Warzone that might be causing problems.

Charles

electrosoft and JRE84 like this.
  3. kiteman112000

kiteman112000 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've tried all of the settings issues and nothing has helped. I don't know why my GPU ranks similar to others with 3dmark if I'm getting the utilization is restricting performance error either. As for Warzone, I think the other poster may have been on to something that the new patch
    Added another 16gb today, solved the problem. :D

Question, the GPU log file showed an occasional voltage limit, and I mean like 2-3 times and that's it. Otherwise it always just said 1 which is power limit. Should I be worried about that?

Thanks so much for your help! Of course, let's see if in 2 weeks it starts acting up again. This thing has been doing that to me lately...but this does seem like the basis for all those issues. So hopefully now all fixed!!

Thanks to Charles also for the assistance!

Last edited: May 2, 2020
    yrekabakery likes this.
  4. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I'm inclined to agree that signs point to a game patch or software change. Your option might be to wait it out; there's bound to be another patch.

Charles

5. Casowen

Casowen Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Could easily just be windows updates. I have had that problem many times before.

6. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Right click on your desktop then choose nVIDIA Control Panel. Go to Manage 3D Settings from the left pane, then scroll down a bit until you see power management. If you see it's set to OPTIMAL which is the default setting when you install a driver. That's your issue.

Optimal Power means when there is no draw on the screen, the GPU clock speeds is set 0 MHz to save power and then ramps up once it needs to. Sounds great on paper, works like crap. This is the number one reason why anyone might experience crappy performance from their nVIDIA GPU. What's worse, is that's the default setting in the nVIDIA Control Panel after you install a new driver often leading people to blame the driver for bad performance when it's just the fault of nVIDIA's clowns.

Set the power management to Adaptive which puts the GPU at lower clock speeds when no GPU intensive apps are in use and it would ramp the clocks up when needed. That actually works. It's the best balance between getting lower heat from the GPU and good performance in games.

When benchmarking, for the optimal results, it's best to set the power management to High Performance.

Mind you, after you change the power management to whatever you set it to, a reboot is mandatory for the new clock speeds to take effect.

Let me know if that fixes it

electrosoft likes this.
  7. Niaphim

Niaphim Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just adding my 2c, but I got a few situations like this in the past, and often the weird behavior was related to graphics driver being ahead of windows updates or simply windows updates not installed. Some really weird stuff if I think about it - throttling system performance until updates are installed, but anyway, windows update resolved my issues.