Having problems with my RTX 2060 Mobile GPU

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by kiteman112000, Apr 30, 2020.

1. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    No, you purchased the laptop with single channel memory. Add another 16GB 2666MHz module for dual channel and you'll get the proper performance.

2. kiteman112000

kiteman112000 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Why then would it have worked properly with no issues before?

3. yrekabakery

Reputations:
    I don't know, I just know that you're leaving a lot of performance on the table in Warzone because of single channel memory.

4. kiteman112000

Reputations:
    I am not/was not getting those FPS numbers granted, but those are very similar comparisons to me gaming on Monday and me gaming today. Now I'm curious how this is even possible I was able to game at a normal level prior to today, which makes me question this a little bit. I'm not questioning you, I believe you. But now I'm wondering if the way it was operating on Monday was normal, and dual channel would have simply made it better. Meaning that still, what's going on today is not right.

I guess it's a starting point. Can I just buy any 16gb stick of DDR4 SDRAM at 2666MHz with 19 19 19 43, or should I just buy two identical sticks and not use the one I have now?

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  5. yrekabakery

Reputations:
    Could be a patch that reduced performance, I don't know. I don't play CoD much but I did notice there were two patches this week.

6. kiteman112000

Reputations:
    looks like this might be the ticket

https://www.microcenter.com/product/503200/crucial-16gb-ddr4-2666-mhz-sodimm-memory-module

there was, in fact, 2 different patches and 1 was quite major. i don't think it was immediately after, but soon after i started noticing this incredible drag on performance. it all seems reasonable.

7. kiteman112000

Reputations:
    Sorry to drag this on, but now that I think about it, Apex Legends was the first game I played on this laptop when I got it in October. I dropped it for COD and only today played it to see if I was getting the same performance issues as COD, and I was. But when I first got the computer, I wasn't having problems with Apex Legends. Hrmm. Very curious situation.

8. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Try the 3DMark benchmarks as I suggested to establish a baseline. 3DMark basic edition is free. It's important to isolate whether this is related to Warzone or is something bigger.

Charles

9. kiteman112000

Reputations:
    I benchmarked Firestrike at 14,415...but GPUZ showed Perf 16/utilization almost the entire log.

You think trying the memory stick might be the next best option, or could this be something else?

10. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Are the scores you received from the benchmarks in line with notebooks with similar hardware? I think it's important to establish if there's something wrong with the machine as a whole, or if it's isolated to a particular game.

Charles