Having problems with my RTX 2060 Mobile GPU

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by kiteman112000, Apr 30, 2020.

1. kiteman112000

kiteman112000 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all, a little backstory...bought a Sager laptop in October, i7 9750/rtx 2060. Only play Call of Duty/Warzone, at first it was great, then about a month ago started seeing huge random dips in FPS. Windows reinstall, drivers reinstalls, I couldn't solve the random drops in performance. I wasn't well versed in MSI Afterburner at the time but have since educated myself and came to realize that Sager actually over-overclocked my GPU from the factory. It was boosting up to 1900mhz even though it's rated at only 1400 or so. Needless to say what was happening is it was constantly power/volt limit throttling, which caused the FPS to drop all the time at random. Many people can get ~1550, so once I got the hang of Afterburner I landed on that and had no GPU power/volt throttle limits. BTW temps have always been fine. 72c is the hottest it ever got even when it was attempting to run at 1,900mhz. Now it maxes around 67c during play and FPS is 70+.

So the new problem started today. I played this morning no problem, then without doing anything to my computer, started playing a few hours later and MSI overlay shows the GPU won't go past about 65% utilization. FPS down in the low 50s. Temps on the GPU don't even go above 60c. No throttling on power/volt. V-sync turned off. I tried restarting several times, no fix. I'm also on the latest Nvidia driver. I ran Furmark and Heaven and it pushed my GPU to 100% load easily and consistently, which to me would suggest the GPU isn't dying. But why it's not cooperating with Call of Duty, I don't know. I don't have any other games to test with. With all the issues I've had with this card, at this point it seems like it could be anything. Really appreciate any help diagnosing this.

FYI no CPU throttling, and I tried to bring the clock of the GPU down to 1400 and it still had the same problem.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  2. kiteman112000

Reputations:
    can anyone help me? i downloaded apex legends, gpu runs at near 100% with 110+ fps no problems. heaven and furmark 100% gpu look great. warzone plays at 60% gpu and 40-50 fps. no vsynce is on. i even reinstalled the game and it didn't do anything.

3. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The GPU can boost much higher than it's rated. I don't think the GPU hitting its power limit is what causes a sharp drop in fps, as that's normal; the GPU will use however much power it can get.

I'd suggest you play a game for about 15 minutes and log with GPU-Z. Upload the log file here so we can review. https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Charles

4. kiteman112000

Reputations:
    Thanks for your help. Here are two files, one for Warzone and one for Heaven. It looks like perf code 16 for utilization limit shows up constantly in Warzone (which is what I was seeing through MSI Afterburner), but it rarely shows up during Heaven (but it's still showing up, nonetheless). I wonder what that means is the problem? I'm stumped. Thanks again for help.

Warzone Log File:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=183VZDGSdCrGFGP_k3lXQB04eSfRHKNLX

Heaven Log File:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=183VZDGSdCrGFGP_k3lXQB04eSfRHKNLX

5. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The GPU utilization is indeed low for Warzone (both links you posted look the same to me, BTW). But if it gets up to 100% in other games, this may not be hardware related. Perhaps the CPU isn't being utilized enough or is limiting your performance (e.g. the game is CPU bound, which seems unlikely). Track your CPU usage while playing.

I'd also check your Windows power plan, set it to High Performance.

As one last "normality" check - did you run 3DMark (Fire Strike/Time Spy) and check the results against similar hardware? Also use Cinebench R15 or R20 to gauge your CPU.

Charles

6. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Is the RAM in dual channel?

7. kiteman112000

Reputations:
    It actually did have problems in another game after all. I am trying to reinstall Windows, and I'm going to forgo Afterburner and Throttlestop installation and see if maybe it starts working again properly. I'll report back when the (incredibly long) game download concludes.

8. kiteman112000

Reputations:
  9. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Did you buy the laptop with 16GB or 32GB RAM total?

10. kiteman112000

Reputations:
    Looking at my invoice right now and it says "RAM: 16GB DDR4 SDRAM at 2666MHz - 1 X"

Also I just want to remind, the game has been running fine the last several weeks and just started acting funny on Tuesday.