Have two older clevos-will clevo release bios updates for spectre ?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Milardo, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Milardo

Milardo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Both notebooks are affected yes. Clevo will not release anything since these models are EOL, however you might be lucky and see if people like Prema are going to release something, otherwise you'd need to ask someone who is able to mod your BIOS and add the code in it.

3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Patches should mitigate the biggest remote risks.

However if you are storing sensitive information on older hardware such as that then it might be prudent to plan to migrate that off.

4. Milardo

Reputations:
    Thanks for both replies so far. If i cant get any bios updates, you mean i shouldn't use the laptops when im connected to internet? The laptops are still perfectly good for general usage.

5. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    Prema is currently really busy and it's unlikely that he will push out microcode updates for older models anytime soon due to his extreme workload on newer BIOS versions, that being said, I already learned how to mod BIOS myself (honestly I was rather suprised how accessable it was) with a new microcode update, but since I don't really trust my own abilities right now and didn't flash it on my notebook, since I will first start doing that once my SPI programmer arrived to be safe, if the flash was a success and the need of the SPI programmer was not needed in the first place, then I'd also make some BIOS with a microcoded update for you, but expect that to be around end january - mid february, since that's when the SPI programmer will arrive.

6. Milardo

Reputations:
    Sure thanks! I wonder if any of the vendors would do this, my laptops have prostar serial numbers, I wonder if i should call them to see if they are able to provide bios updates.

7. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    Yeah why not,you could try and reach out to them. Let us know what answer you got.

8. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    Intel did neither make any Spectre fixes for Sandy / Ivy Bridge processors that your W110ER uses nor the Nahelem of your m770cuh, sorry man.

Only Haswell, Broadwell, SKL, KBL & KBL-R have received patches.

I would also avoid the Haswell fix, unless you are handling really sensitive data, as the current version isn't working properly, gives a mature performance hit and even killed a few boards...

Even the SKL+ codes where pulled from Linux today:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/18/red_hat_spectre_firmware_update_woes/

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    steberg and Danishblunt like this.
  9. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    The database on the intel website has a code from all CPU's from 2007 - 2017 tho? So not all codes are spectre fixed? Until when did they fix? Haswell? ivy?

Thanks for the heads up! :)
    Guess intel messed up again ~.~

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  10. Milardo

Reputations:
    What about my m770cuh-core i7 620m?