Has this board lost many active users?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Sir Punk, Mar 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Punk

Sir Punk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I remember when I joined the board in the 2000's this forum was the place to go for anything about laptops of any brand. Maybe only the ThinkPad forum was at the same level.

In last few years unfortunately I am finding less and less users, particularly in some of the sub forums that seemed well frequented now are like deserts. Do some of the admin have some statistics about active users?

Have all of the users migrated to Reddit or manufacturers dedicated forums?

What's happened?

2. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I wouldn't be surprised if most of the old active members have abandoned notebooks due to the infestation of BGA filth, locked firmware, throttling thermals and other nasty stuff which is common in today's designs. I'm sure some people have migrated to other forums as well.

3. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The Internet has changed over the last several years (let alone the past decade); there are more ways to get information now, and users, well, use the Internet differently. That's about as philosophical as I'll get. This forum's activity level has remained consistent despite that.

Are you having trouble finding knowledge you need?

Charles

4. Sir Punk

Sir Punk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Absolutely, in the last 3-4 I have had a Toshiba, Lenovo, LG, Clevo, HP. I haven't bothered to update my signature... Aside from the Lenovo which I owned for a short time, the sub-forums of those other brands are dead, look at the replies per thread. Ok LG is a relatively unpopular brand for laptops, but the other sub-forums used to be a lot more active. It feels this forum has become somewhat of a "legacy models" forum. Some of the most popular threads are 2-3 years old. How do you measure activity?

5. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That doesn't answer the question Charles asked. You basically repeated what you said in your first post.

Ultra Male likes this.
  6. Sir Punk

Sir Punk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I did answer the question, I said "absolutely", and then I made a list of sub-forums that were once active and are now dead, just to be more specific. So let me restate, I would say that 95% of the time I was looking for information I did not find it, I started posting less and less because the few threads I opened ended up in a dead-end. So I am almost never relying on this forum, unfortunately. Even in Google searches it comes up less and less often, particularly for troubleshooting.

7. Charles P. Jefferies

Reputations:
    A quick review of the last ~dozen threads you've created have seen a fair amount of replies by forum members. Forum members on this board offer their time and knowledge freely. Not to say you're pretentious, but you should be grateful for any reply you get. Indeed, it does appear you're in short supply of appreciation; going back through your posts from about 2016, I didn't find an instance of you offering much in the way of a follow-up, let alone a word of thanks. If you did locate the information you were looking for elsewhere, returning and spreading the knowledge would have been the empathetic thing to do.

In other words, the problems you allege are ones you're helping spread. Is there any point to your thread here, other than to complain for the sake of doing so?

(And if so, what suggestions do you have for improving these forums?)

Charles

8. Sir Punk

Sir Punk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The reason I didn't report back is simply because I had found no solution, or the solution offered wasn't really what I was asking.

I didn't open this thread to criticize or complain, I asked a genuine question if there are any statistics in hand to confirm my impression that there are less active users, and if there's been any discussion in this board of where the users have moved to. Rather it seems that you are on the defensive side for no reason since my message was not an attack.

In which way is it pretentious to say that many sub-forums are dead or that threads are years old?

9. Charles P. Jefferies

Reputations:
    Intentions are, unfortunately, not always obvious from results. This board doesn't make available the statistics you seek. However, based on the overtone of your statements, it seems to me that even if there were stats to support this forum being the best-performing one of its kind, they'd fall on deaf ears.
    If you're open to thinking otherwise, that's another intention that hasn't surfaced. I'm respectfully closing this thread in an interest of saving the effort.

(Truly, if, as you say, you aren't receiving what you want here, I question the logic of returning.)

Charles

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.