Has anyone heard of a g2 zbook being upgraded with an nVidia Pascal MXM?

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by ChanceJackson, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Padraig O Cuinn

Padraig O Cuinn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sure i coukd help you out. Ive had all zbooks bat the new g5

2. DengueTim

DengueTim Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does the Zbook 15 G2 even have an LVDS display option? It could well be that Optimus is disabled for your display type yes. The only thing I can think of that may work is flashing a different VBIOS. (It's risky as without IG support, if it goes wrong it would be difficult to flash the old VBIOS back again.) My thinking is that if the card is connected directly to the internal display it could well be that the VBIOS has that eDP port disabled.

3. silverchairbg

silverchairbg Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  4. DengueTim

DengueTim Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Could you ask the guy who has the 965m working in their ZBook 15 G2 to post a dump of their VBIOS? Or at least the version number. You may be able to find the image on techpowerup. There is no reason that your card shouldn't be able to drive that display. It's either the laptop's BIOS or the VBIOS that's stopping it. You can't do much about the laptop's BIOS, but the VBIOS you can flash with whatever 965m VBIOS you can find. The trick is to find a VBIOS with a port config that works for your laptop. If you use linux I think there are tools to decode the port configurations from VBIOS images(There are for AMD at least). So you could see how the k2100m is configured and then find a 965m VBIOS that is similar.

5. silverchairbg

Reputations:
    @DengueTim The guy from the youtube video has a Zbook with Full HD TN display (lvds) that supports hybrid graphics (Optimus). I have a 3k display (eDP) with no support for hybrid graphics. The VBIOS of his video card is the exact same as mine - I verified this from the video, the firmware version is seen in the bios, same as mine). So this path is a no go.

Still, thanks for the suggestions!

6. silverchairbg

Reputations:
    A quick follow up, as I've forgotten: I was able to get the Quadro M2200 (which is counterpart to the GTX 965m) working in the Zbook G2. It did require flashing the vbios from Zbook G4 and running the BIOS in UEFI hybrid (not native) mode. Getting the vbios was the hard part as nobody was kind enough to provide it, but after reading and trying many things, I was able to source it out of the system bios update file from HP site.

So as summary: it doesn't appear Zbook has a whitelist, but it is quite possible it requires specific instructions from the vbios in order to run as some people here have suggested. This is huge, as it probably means that as long as HP have produced a laptop with an MXM video card you want to upgrade to, your chances are you most likely would be successful, as long as you can get your hands on its vbios. If it is stripped directly from an HP laptop, it should run out of the box.