1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Has Anyone Ever Got a Free Laptop Before?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by MICHAELSD01, Jul 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MICHAELSD01

MICHAELSD01 Apple/Alienware Master

Reputations:
    Before I start the thread, I want any mods to know that I won't post links or mention the names to any free laptop sites. This thread is only for discussing sites that offer free laptops in general, and not specific sites. BTW, for anyone that posts here, no referral links!

We see them all of the time, even on some of the ads that Google puts on NoteBookReview: "FREE LAPTOPS". Then, when we search for most of the known ones you do hear stories about people getting free laptops and only paying a few small fees here and there. The hard part is getting five people to do offers, too so that you get a laptop. I'm even starting to see ads for free laptops on TV, especially during those rare times that I watch the HistoryChannel. If these companies can get regular ads on big TV networks, they have to be legit.

I'm not saying that every free laptop/iPod/etc. site isn't a scam, but there definitely are some legit ones out there. I even saw one with an active blog that lets people know when they get new shipments of stuff to give out. One was even giving away fully maxed-out Alienware m17xs. Mods can lock or do whatever with this thread, but I think if we don't mention any sites in particular and just have a general discussion (without posting any links at all), we won't be breaking any forum rules.

2. Lithus

Lithus NBR Janitor

Reputations:
    Some of them are legit, but it's like playing Russian Roulette. On one hand, there's a free laptop. On the other, your identity's just been stolen.

3. stewie

stewie What the deuce?

Reputations:
    There is always a catch.

4. Harper2.0

Harper2.0 Back from the dead?

Reputations:
    I bought my last laptop off a bum for $150. :) not free but it was just about worth it.

5. Greg

Greg Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Yeah, we delete so much 'free laptop' spam...I highly doubt any of those sites are legitimate.

6. stirfriedsushi

stirfriedsushi Confuse a Cat LTD

Reputations:
    A lot of those are somewhat legit. it's not "free" but you don't have to pay for it either. you need a certain number of referrals to the site under your name and they send you the laptop.

it's usually a lot like 60 or something. i tried to do one once and failed horribly.

7. redrazor11

redrazor11 Formerly waterwizard11

Reputations:
    Yea, they are mostly referal-based systems.

Step 1- Activate your account
    Step 2- Buy something from one of our advertising sites
    Step 3- Convince 10 other people to sign up from your referal
    Step 4- Each of them must buy something from our advertising sites
    Step 5- Sign your life away
    Step 6- We might ship you a free portable electronic device thingy*

*some little catch here

8. Greg

Greg Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Yeah, that is also why we consider referrals to be spam. Sorry to have to shut down those threads (we do get legit members asking for referral stuff), but now you have some reasoning why.

9. masterchef341

masterchef341 The guy from The Notebook

Reputations:
    classic pyramid scam.

there just aren't enough people in the marketplace that just anyone could pull off 70+ referrals to sign up for some paid service on the internet.

the trick is: YOU have to sign up for the service as well. you are going to end up paying them some money and then have GREAT difficulty getting others to sign up as well.

i think it would be easier to go door to door and ask for a $25 donation to your laptop fund. Do that 70 or 100 times and you'll have the cash to buy. And if that doesn't appeal to you, I don't see how the online alternative is any easier.

or getting a full time job for a month. that is probably a more efficient way to make money.

10. LIVEFRMNYC

LIVEFRMNYC Blah Blah Blah!!!

Reputations:

* = After you purchase from our advertisers you are then obligated to purchase from 3 more of our advertisers. You are also required to fill out an very lengthly survey that basically never ends until you check yes to something. Every last one of the 10 people you sign must complete the offer in full. We also reserve the right to substitute your gift with something of a much lower value if gift is unavailable. Gifts can take 16 months to 2 yrs to process and up to 3 yrs to ship. We also have the right to use your name and info in our testimonials.