1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Has Anyone Ever Got a Free Laptop Before?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by MICHAELSD01, Jul 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MICHAELSD01

MICHAELSD01 Apple/Alienware Master

Before I start the thread, I want any mods to know that I won't post links or mention the names to any free laptop sites. This thread is only for discussing sites that offer free laptops in general, and not specific sites. BTW, for anyone that posts here, no referral links!

We see them all of the time, even on some of the ads that Google puts on NoteBookReview: "FREE LAPTOPS". Then, when we search for most of the known ones you do hear stories about people getting free laptops and only paying a few small fees here and there. The hard part is getting five people to do offers, too so that you get a laptop. I'm even starting to see ads for free laptops on TV, especially during those rare times that I watch the HistoryChannel. If these companies can get regular ads on big TV networks, they have to be legit.

I'm not saying that every free laptop/iPod/etc. site isn't a scam, but there definitely are some legit ones out there. I even saw one with an active blog that lets people know when they get new shipments of stuff to give out. One was even giving away fully maxed-out Alienware m17xs. Mods can lock or do whatever with this thread, but I think if we don't mention any sites in particular and just have a general discussion (without posting any links at all), we won't be breaking any forum rules.

2. Lithus

Lithus NBR Janitor

Some of them are legit, but it's like playing Russian Roulette. On one hand, there's a free laptop. On the other, your identity's just been stolen.

3. stewie

stewie What the deuce?

There is always a catch.

4. Harper2.0

Harper2.0 Back from the dead?

I bought my last laptop off a bum for $150. :) not free but it was just about worth it.

5. Greg

Greg Super Moderator Super Moderator

Yeah, we delete so much 'free laptop' spam...I highly doubt any of those sites are legitimate.

6. stirfriedsushi

stirfriedsushi Confuse a Cat LTD

A lot of those are somewhat legit. it's not "free" but you don't have to pay for it either. you need a certain number of referrals to the site under your name and they send you the laptop.

it's usually a lot like 60 or something. i tried to do one once and failed horribly.

7. redrazor11

redrazor11 Formerly waterwizard11

Yea, they are mostly referal-based systems.

Step 1- Activate your account
    Step 2- Buy something from one of our advertising sites
    Step 3- Convince 10 other people to sign up from your referal
    Step 4- Each of them must buy something from our advertising sites
    Step 5- Sign your life away
    Step 6- We might ship you a free portable electronic device thingy*

*some little catch here

8. Greg

Yeah, that is also why we consider referrals to be spam. Sorry to have to shut down those threads (we do get legit members asking for referral stuff), but now you have some reasoning why.

9. masterchef341

masterchef341 The guy from The Notebook

classic pyramid scam.

there just aren't enough people in the marketplace that just anyone could pull off 70+ referrals to sign up for some paid service on the internet.

the trick is: YOU have to sign up for the service as well. you are going to end up paying them some money and then have GREAT difficulty getting others to sign up as well.

i think it would be easier to go door to door and ask for a $25 donation to your laptop fund. Do that 70 or 100 times and you'll have the cash to buy. And if that doesn't appeal to you, I don't see how the online alternative is any easier.

or getting a full time job for a month. that is probably a more efficient way to make money.

10. LIVEFRMNYC

LIVEFRMNYC Blah Blah Blah!!!

* = After you purchase from our advertisers you are then obligated to purchase from 3 more of our advertisers. You are also required to fill out an very lengthly survey that basically never ends until you check yes to something. Every last one of the 10 people you sign must complete the offer in full. We also reserve the right to substitute your gift with something of a much lower value if gift is unavailable. Gifts can take 16 months to 2 yrs to process and up to 3 yrs to ship. We also have the right to use your name and info in our testimonials.

11. Greg

Key Words
    Free color laptop.
    Free laptop.
    Free.
    Just $xyzUSD.
    9 EASY payments of $159.99.

12. rsly33

rsly33 Notebook Consultant

Ive received both a free "PS3" and a free "Wii"(I put them in quotes because the company sent me a $600 check and a $300 check respectively) It was not a referral based system - I refuse to do those - it was you do x amount of offers and then you get your PS3/Wii. The PS3 was 5 offers and the Wii 2 with the offers being like free trials to Blockbuster, Netflix, Gamefly, etc. Honestly the easiest $900 Ive made.

But the system really hopes you forgot to cancel your offer and then are started on automatic monthly payments, you forget time deadlines, or you get frustrated with the whole process and leave it. It is a 3-4 month process from the beginning of the offer to the end where you actually received your check

So there are obviously a number of scams out there but Ive done enough of these free offers to know some are legit.

13. MICHAELSD01

Wow, that site rsly33 is talking about looks really sweet and legit. There's some really nice offers there, too, best of all, hundreds of dollars for free without actually doing anything! No referrals, either. It seems too good to be true, but after searching around it really isn't. I'd encourage skeptics to be a little more open, otherwise you're missing out on really sweet deals.

14. MICHAELSD01

I think I'll try to convince my dad to let me do one of the sites tomorrow. rsly33 got $900 from them, and a ton of other people made thousands, and no one has ever called them a scam. That says a lot. I'm going to do the MacBook Air offer, since it's the only decent free notebook that they offer. I'll either get a check somewhere around $2k or I'll get a MacBook Air that I'll put on eBay. Roughly four months from tomorrow, I'll have $2k that I'll use towards a notebook, probably an Alienware m15x, Voodoo's 15" (it would be sweet to be able to afford that, I'm sure it'll look amazing with a custom paint job, I'm just going to hope that it has at least a 9800M GT/8800M GTX), or maybe a MacBook Pro. Plus, they have commercials on some channels every once in a while, so that adds to how legit the company is.

Once I start, I'll post a history of the offers I do, amount of money I pay overall, and everything else in between before I get my check/laptop. If I can convince my dad, I'll post a thread on the forums about my experiences. The one thing I really like is that you don't need to refer other people. You'd expect the offers to take up a ton of money, but from everything I've read and rsly33's experience, that's far from the case. The most most people spend is $100 (rsly33 spent around $60 for $900)! I'll be the first person to post pictures of the entire process and keep everyone posted on what happens with each offer, if I do it.

15. MICHAELSD01

Anybody have any tips if I do it?

16. ScifiMike12

ScifiMike12 Drinking the good stuff

I think the best way to get something free is get a job and pay for the item yourself. IMO, it's not the wisest decision to go out, do a trial item, cancel it, and hope that your check or money comes after. The company could have stole your card number or something valuable about yourself that you didn't know about.

You can also do paid surveys, that's what I do... just takes a while before you get paid. :/

17. MICHAELSD01

That's one of the reasons I want to do it, and post my entire experience. Too many people are skeptic over these kinds of things and they think that everything's a scam, meanwhile there's members of the forums that have done offers from the site (rsly33 and probably a few more).

18. Kdawgca

Kdawgca rotaredoM repudrepuS RBN Super Moderator

I am not going to stop you from doing the offers but i am going to say no to you posting your experience from any free ipod/laptop etc site regardless if they do not use referrals. We will deem it as spam(NBR is a notebook tech site afterall) and the thread will be deleted and the user may get an infraction.

Good advice..."There Is No Such Thing As A Free Lunch".

19. MICHAELSD01

Would it be alright if I post how it goes without posting any links to the site or even mentioning the site's name?

20. Greg

I believe Kevin's exact words were:
    We have a zero tolerance policy with spam. So you've been warned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.