Has Alienware changed its heatsink design?

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by jrwingate6, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    I don't think 7700K stock or clocked @4.8 - 4.9GHz will be dated next year or the next year thereafter. And 1K vs. +3K usd it's a no-brainer in my book. Of course it would be opposite and a waste of money if you had a soldered i7 in the laptop as MSI.

Ashtrix, Rotary Heart and Mr. Fox like this.
  2. jrwingate6

jrwingate6 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Performance wise it wont be dated but it's life span will be shortened due to the temperature these chips are running at. Before you know it, you upgrade your GPU and then a year later you're looking for a new motherboard because your CPU went up. Been there done that. Never again.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

3. Papusan

Reputations:
    I dont think high temp are and will be a problem. Of course 50x can be a bit hot as 80c is on the high side. And I'm sure i can hit up a very cheap 7700K if needed. Even good binned. But it's very rare that desktop processors will burn up. Haven't seen it yet. FYI You don't need new MB because and if your CPU went up. The cpu is LGA. Aka socket hardware.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    Ashtrix, Rotary Heart and Mr. Fox like this.
  4. Wormwood

Wormwood Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    And if that happens you can send that unit back for another replacement - as much **** as people give them Dell/Alienware usually gets things right in the end and have been a lot better about making sure the customer is happy.

And it's not like cases like that, or worse, haven't happened with plenty of other companies...

MogRules likes this.
  5. Wormwood

Wormwood Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's mostly just a few zealots...
    For some reason they're having problems converting people (maybe it's the juvenile behavior and personal attacks or how they seem to refuse to admit any error or mistake).

MogRules, Maineiac12 and jrwingate6 like this.
  6. jrwingate6

Reputations:
    Last night while reading some reviews, I noticed that Acer also uses a 3 point triangle heat sink on their Predator line. Aside from Acer's crappy paste, why don't they have a problem with the 3 point heat sink sitting right? From what I've been reading, it looks like once a Predator 17 is repasted with decent stuff, it's Temps are extremely good.

7. Papusan

Reputations:
    Depends on the attachment mechanism (Tripod legs) is in one piece or has thin flimsy arms such as the Alienware Tripod HS.

Alienware's weak Tripod arms
    [​IMG]
    vs. Acer's Tripod HS in one piece
    [​IMG]

Maineiac12 and jrwingate6 like this.
  8. Maineiac12

Maineiac12 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That same review where you got the image from says that the CPU hit 98c and both CPU and GPU thermal throttled during their tests.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Predator-17-X-7820HK-FHD-GTX-1080-Laptop-Review.207172.0.html

A tripod is still a tripod. I still think 4 point mounts for even pressure are the way to go.

Papusan likes this.
  9. Papusan

Reputations:
    I know, Tripod shouldn't be used in any notebooks. But you should also remember AcerBook who running same Stress test hold higher clock speed. Aka can hold higher Cpu clockspeed and will throttle 500MHz less vs. AWBook. 500MHz higher clocks will create higher temp:cool:

10. jrwingate6

Reputations:
    All the Predator needs is a repaste and it's CPU maxes out in the 70's and GPU in the 60's. You don't need to worry about doing all the other stuff required with the R4. I'd say the Predators design is pretty good. It's Acer's paste and paste job that leaves a lot to be desired.