Has Alienware changed its heatsink design?

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by jrwingate6, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Very hard to service, only 2 RAM slots, lesser m.2 / 2.5" SATA slots, Tripod crappy heatsink....... watch this video please:

hmscott, Mr. Fox and Papusan like this.
  2. Wormwood

Wormwood Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I didn't have any issues before iUnlock worked on it either and actually had good temperatures for the original stock paste...

But I decided to get it repasted because I wanted to maximize the system and see how much of a difference Liquid Metal would make. And I haven't regretted my decision and the next time I get a system that I don't feel comfortable working on myself I'll likely send it off to iUnlock again.

That said, if I had been in a position where I could not have sent this laptop off to be repasted I would still have been satisfied with the overall performance (especially given the price I got mine for). I wanted a small, solidly built laptop to replace my previous portable gaming laptop and the 13 R3 delivered - and the OLED display was a nice bonus.

3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    They fix known issues by releasing new products with a new set of known issues. They don't have time to fix yesterday's problems because creating new ones is resource intensive. A rolling stone gathers no moss. Disposable turdbooks are not meant to be fixed.

Actually, we are all secretly mean people, using reverse psychology to trick you into buying one by pointing out how horrible they are. We are exploiting human nature by appealing to your dark side that, left to its own devices, wants to make bad choices.

4. jrwingate6

jrwingate6 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Been here since 2011. I know you're all mean. =)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ashtrix, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    So,where were you between 2009 and 2011?

Papusan likes this.
  6. jrwingate6

Reputations:
    Haha. At first I'm like, what does this guy mean by that.

But yea, guess I've been here longer than initially thought.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  7. Maineiac12

Maineiac12 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    While the responses from the BGA hate train are a tad overblown, you can't deny that many of the earlier systems had issues. I should know - I returned 2 of them in 2016 for heating issues and bought an MSI instead.

However, I've recently purchased a Kaby lake model 17 R4 built 2 weeks ago and I've had no issues with it aside from a stuck pixel. The temps would only briefly hit 90 on the default fan profile because the fans are slow to ramp up. Turning on performance mode solves that and my CPU runs between 65-70 and GPU 63 with a -.120 undervolt. Core differences are only 1-3c.

It really depends on what YOU want. Is design and size important to you? Do you NEED more than 32GB of RAM? Do you NEED a desktop CPU in your notebook? Maybe you do, maybe you don't.

I get over 100 FPS in PUBG with my BGA "turdbook" at 4.0 Ghz with only 16GB of RAM and I'm perfectly happy with that. Plus, the design of my laptop is conservative enough to bring to a professional setting without being embarrassed (LED effects off, of course)

If you really want a 17 R4, go ahead and get one. If you're really worried about the thermal issues buy it from a place like Best Buy, Amazon, or Newegg that has a hassle free return policy and fast shipping. If you have a Best Buy locally I'd suggest that because they do warranty service in house locally and if they can't fix, you get a new system. Same as the Dell warranty but usually faster since their systems are pre built configs and don't need to be shipped in from the factory.

Wormwood likes this.
  8. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 what is quality control?

Reputations:
    But Dell also has the same (if not better) return policy.

I would doubt newegg on returns though, they've been harsh lately according to some people.

9. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    If you RMA your new flawed Laptop to Dell and they send You a new replacement... You risk getting a used one with stripped screws. Not everything is better with Dell!!

Ashtrix, Rotary Heart and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. jrwingate6

Reputations:
    Hey, I'm with you bro. I think the BGA hate train is overblown. It's just the trendy thing to hate here at NBR. I used to only buy MXM notebooks but after the trouble I went through upgrading one of the cards, I no longer care about it. Paying 1 thousand dollars for an upgraded GPU that may or may not require a lot of work is pointless in my book. Not to mention, your CPU is most likely going to be dated. I'd rather just buy another laptop with updated internals.