Harddrive advice

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Mr.Nutcase, Jul 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ffergie

ffergie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anything that I have read is that you cannot run 2 antivirus programs at the same time. It seems that they are like brothers and sisters when we were young; just can't get along.
    Try googling "running 2 antivirus programs at the same time".
    Good luck

2. gijoe4us

gijoe4us Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What I have found is running NAV 2011 and MS Sec Essentials will be okay. Running both on a CF-19 MK IV with 64 Bit Win 7 now for quite some time and they get along well with one another. XP is okay, but Win 7 32 Bit is a great system and yes, does take some work to get all of the drivers in and you will lose some functionality with buttons and some others. If you download the drivers from the Panasonic along with the install instructions, follow it to the tee, you should have no problems. I have a CF-18 MK II and I would switch between Win XP Tab, Win XP Ful blown, and Win 7 32 Bit, on all HDD's that were quite large and worked fine. I don't believe Win 7 64 Bit will work on the 18's due to the processor not having dual capabilities for it like my CF-19 MK IV. Good luck! One last thing, when you get Win 7 installed and running the way you want, burn the disk image at the point you have all of your software installed. Big time saver if your drive goes out or it gets ill! Do your regular back-ups and save them so if the need ever arises to re-install, your ready to go, pop in the systems restore, burn the saved image, run your restore back-ups, have your computer back up in less than 2 hours, instead of much longer with complete install of all Panasonic stuff, your stuff, back-ups, etc.... Good luck!

3. Mr.Nutcase

Mr.Nutcase Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Which of these hard drive brands would you recommend?
    Western Digital or Samsung

4. db04p71

db04p71 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Depends on your space needs. The biggest Samsung is 160gb. WD is available up to 320gb. I have several Samsung 160gb that work great.

5. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    As stated in the F.A.Q the Samsung drive works great. I have them in my CF-18's , 29's and 51's..7 in total and never had any problems.
    Below was taken from mnementh CF-29 FAQ that he started, there is a lot of good stuff on the first page .
    but I also have a WD Black 320GB drive in my CF-52 but its faster than the rest of the toughbooks I have and can handle the bigger drive better. I find the bigger drives on the older toughbooks slow them down way to much

6. Boo Boo

Boo Boo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    avast and go with the 320gb pata

7. ADOR

ADOR Evil Mad Scientist

Reputations:
    One option on having two anti-virus is you can always have certain ones inactive on a usb drive. I keep spybot search and destroy on my usb drive and up date it about once a month. It helps for rescue and just having a second option.

8. Mr.Nutcase

Reputations:
    I bought a external 1.5 tb, I am backing the 40 gb to it.
    It came with program to back up.
    So when I put the new drive on, it will turn to bios? then recover the old one?
    I dont have the recovery discs....

9. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Not sure if that will work, what are you using for backup software? I use Acronis True Image Home 2010 . I have the new drive that I am going to use in a external case then I run Acronis which puts a image of that on it and then take that drive and put it in the caddy :D . I am not sure that it will boot to this external 1.5 tb drive :confused: or even find that image.

10. Mr.Nutcase

Reputations:

If I buy this
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2329300&CatId=3770
    I dont need external case?
    The back up came with external hardrive
    Samsung G3 Series 1.5TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive
    it called Samsung auto back up
    Micro Center - Samsung G3 Series 1.5TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive HX-DU015EC/BB2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.