Happy SXPS 16 users?

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Tempted, May 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. N20D5OH

N20D5OH Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What heating problem?

I've been sitting on my bed with my kids watching a movie and the temps are 40 and 43 for the cores, 50 for the GPU and 45 for the HDD. No heating problems here. :)

2. Rebellion

Rebellion Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I love my 1640!! Its been a little bit less than a month and no problems so far.

My temps are pretty much the same as N20D5OH's. There is no heat problem, just a perception that there is one.

Some people are super sensitive to heat and feel its too much and complain on forums about it. And all of a sudden it has heat problems. And just like the rumor game the more its repeated the "worse" the problem is. So people want the latest hardware in the smallest formfactor that runs ice cold....no wonder people are getting dissapointed.

I know.. I know, apple laptops can chill your martini and play farcry 2 on high settings at 100fps.

I would have returned this laptop if it had a heat problem. I leave for Iraq in a few days and a laptop with heat problems wouldn't last long where I will be working.

At first I was bummed about the GPU upgrade until I did some research. The new GPU uses 5 watts more power which means even less battery life. No thanks. Thats the one weak area of the 1640 if I had to list one.

3. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:
    I think very soon (as in by the beginning of June) and here's why I think this:

1. Today they released an updated bios for the XPS 16 that specifically mentions support for the HD 4670.
    2. The crimson red version of the laptop will probably be released as an option for the revised XPS 16: http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/17/crimson-red-dell-xps-16-in-the-wild/

4. Brendanmurphy

Brendanmurphy Your Worst Nightmare

Reputations:
    Yes 10 mins less or so thats not much so instead of 3:10 on power saver you get 3 big woop. But yea there is no heat problems my computer has the same temps as them but my gpu is usually at 42-45

5. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:

Yep, 5 watts difference makes a very small difference in overall power consumption. Not bad for going from 378m transistors to 514m and getting 2x the graphics power.

6. Brendanmurphy

Brendanmurphy Your Worst Nightmare

Reputations:
    Exactly i would rather have more graphics power

7. Jeroentje91

Jeroentje91 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    After many many problems, I finally love mine :D

8. Trekster

Trekster Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I couldn't stop laughing at this haha...excellent summary of Apple fanboi's feelings towards their products!

I love my XPS16 no heat issues at all either. Low 30's on the CPUs and mid 40's on the GPU when not in my lap and just browsing/watching movies.

Not much hotter than my old MBP(C2D 2.2Ghz, 8600GT).

9. Waffleness

Waffleness Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    How likely is this? I know we can only speculate, but if I buy a studio xps at the end of this month (may) and a week later a whole new line appears, I will be angry.

10. alexrud

alexrud Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just called to arrange a return for my 1640. The only thing that made me think twice about ordering it was the (relatively) sub-par performance of the GPU. Now that the 4670 should be an option I am going to wait for a good deal on a 1640 with that GPU.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.