Happy Birthday Linux!! - Linux Becomes 26 Years Old

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by hmscott, Aug 25, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    On August 25, the Linux kernel will reach its 26th anniversary.

Happy Birthday Linux!! - Linux Becomes 26 Years Old

https://medium.com/@caspervonb/happy-birthday-linux-7c1adc7a6626

"26 years ago Linus Torvalds sent out this message to the comp.os.minx newsgroup.

"Hello everybody out there using minix -I’m doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won’t be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones. This has been brewing since april, and is starting to get ready. I’d like any feedback on things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons) among other things). I’ve currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.

This implies that I’ll get something practical within a few months, and I’d like to know what features most people would want. Any suggestions are welcome, but I won’t promise I’ll implement them :)- LinusPS.

Yes — it’s free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.

It is NOT portable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that’s all I have :-(."

Fast forward to today and Linux has more than 12 000 contributors from over 1300 companies that contribute to the Linux kernel."

Happy anniversary, Linux: A look back at where it all began

Installing SLS 1.05 shows just how far the Linux kernel has come in 26 years.
    https://opensource.com/article/17/8/linux-anniversary

"I thought Linux was a huge step up from the world of MS-DOS. While Linux lacked the breadth of applications and games available on MS-DOS, I found Linux gave me a greater degree of flexibility. Unlike MS-DOS, I could now do true multi-tasking, running more than one program at a time. And Linux provided a wealth of tools, including a C compiler that I could use to build my own programs.

A year later, I upgraded to SLS 1.05, which sported the brand-new Linux kernel 1.0. More importantly, Linux 1.0 introduced kernel modules. With modules, you no longer needed to completely recompile your kernel to support new hardware; instead you loaded one of the 63 included Linux kernel modules. SLS 1.05 included this note about modules in the distribution's README file:

Modularization of the kernel is aimed squarely at reducing, and eventually eliminating, the requirements for recompiling the kernel, either for changing/modifying device drivers or for dynamic access to infrequently required drivers. More importantly, perhaps, the efforts of individual working groups need no longer affect the development of the kernel proper. In fact, a binary release of the official kernel should now be possible.

On August 25, the Linux kernel will reach its 26th anniversary. To celebrate, I reinstalled SLS 1.05 to remind myself what the Linux 1.0 kernel was like and to recognize how far Linux has come since the 1990s. Join me on this journey into Linux nostalgia!"

Linux Kernel Development Report 2016
    How Fast It's Going, Who Is Doing It, What They Are Doing, and Who Is Sponsoring It?
    http://go.linuxfoundation.org/linux-kernel-development-report-2016

"To celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Linux, we've released our seventh edition of the Linux Kernel Development Report. It analyzes the work done by over 13,500 developers since the kernel’s early days, as well as more recent trends."

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  2. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    It's weird to think I'm nearly as old as an entire OS (well, kernel).

hmscott likes this.
  3. krisguy

krisguy Newbie

Reputations:
    Considering I've been using it almost twenty years myself... damn, I'm old.

hmscott likes this.