Hands down the best 4th Gen laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by TheReciever, Mar 6, 2020.

1. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    In terms of cooling and overclock potential, what is considered the king of cooling in the 4th generation with a socket?

After recent issues trying to sell in the marketplace, I have decided to look back into building a secondary laptop.

So with that in mind, what is the best 15.6 and potentially 17.3 inch laptop in terms of cooling and bios OCing. I have a 4930mx and also 4980hq that I can test with.

Pascal confirmation would be preferred, but this may just turn into a server of some kind, haven't hammered out the details yet.

@Mr. Fox @Papusan @Falkentyne @Ashtrix

Ashtrix and Falkentyne like this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I know you have had AW17 before. Maybe look after an Clevo P375SM with @Prema firmware. MSI Gt70 is an option for your 4th gen chips but I'm quite sure even with Svet mod bios I think this models will struggle with power cap you can't fix.
    Not so known with smaller machines as 15 inch you also ask for (maybe this or this with Prema firmware).

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    Ashtrix likes this.
  3. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Have you seen anything of the P157SM-A? I only plan to run a single GPU, if it did get Pascal confirmation then it would be a mobile machine for me while I am away from home, which would actually get used away from home more so than the 13 R3 I have.

A couple of chinese sites claim to have the 4980hq installed and working but no validation (cpu-z or otherwise)

My brother may have the p157sma that he stole from me, not sure how I would go about acquiring it to test though.

Does it use PEG mode or its brand equivalent?

I also assume I would have to have Prema BIOS for Pascal and proper overclocking...

Thanks guys.

4. Papusan

Reputations:
    Not so familar with smaller notebooks. As I said above... I don't trust MSI (17 inch)... And for 17 inch machines there ain't much other options outside Clevo and the Aw17. For 15 inch I can't see many other options for you. The ODM/OEM already started destroy most of their machines with BGA Junk around that time.

Edit. Read the added reviews for specs.

Ashtrix likes this.
  5. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Hmmm

Do you recall who may have a P375SM-A around the forums? Maybe I can send them my 4980hq for testing if they are reputable members, though it could be because optimus is enabled that the 4980hq actually has potential to work. @Meaker@Sager any thoughts?

Maybe I can mod the heatsinks more akin to the P870, 2 exchangers and 2 fans for the GPU or for the CPU, just depends on the temps of the vanilla system.

6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    All of the Clevo laptops before the P870 had terrible cooling. Those with Haswell CPUs had extremely poor quality cooling systems. The only laptops I know of that had a Haswell CPU and good cooling were the Viking and Ranger.

I would absolutely not recommend a P375SM-A or a P377SM-A. They had horrible thermal management.

7. Papusan

Reputations:
    I benched my son's old GT70 and the cooling wasn't bad. But as I mentioned above... What is it worth if the firmware is castreted and can't be fixed properly? Nothing will perform better than what you're allowed due firmware. And the worse it will be the smaller chassis you get.

8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yes, that metered performance crap is a serious problem for all laptops. The losers that make them are lazy control freaks that don't care if the products they sell are garbage. Once in awhile somebody releases a really good laptop on accident. As soon as they realize what happened, they quickly look for a way to "fix" it so it will stop working correctly, or they replace it with a broken newer model. And, as well all know, "newer is always better" LOL. Anyone that doesn't know should ask their friends on Facebook. They always have all the answers for everything.

Ashtrix, ole!!! and Papusan like this.
  9. Papusan

Reputations:
    It's a reason I still have my P870. Nothing worthy to buy. And I won't spend my money on new desktop builds with the old soon EOL Intel 14nm+++ chips. AMD follow the same paths... Nothing! Useless if you have oc'ing as hobby and you don't want switch over to LN2 and short time fun. As well can't use it the way you want 24/7. We live in sad times now, bro Fox.
    upload_2020-3-7_2-16-59.png

Ashtrix, TheDantee and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Even if there was hardware that deserved a measure of excitement, of which there is not any, we'd still have the suckiness of Windows 10 to screw things up. Yes... we live in very sad, dark times for technology. We're surrounded by and overrun with rampant unchecked wanton stupidity.