Halo games WITHOUT the Flood?

Discussion in 'Games, Home Theater, TV, and Movies' started by Mitlov, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    My seven-year-old has gotten really into the idea of playing Halo, but he's got a straight-up phobia of the Flood. I know it's not rational, but it's an arachnophobia-style fear of zombies and the like that somehow has gotten quite ingrained at this point. I'm happy to let him play Halo, but don't want to overwhelm him with something I know is going to freak him out. So...which Halo games do not involve the Flood? I know Reach and 4 do not...any others?

Also, how far into Halo: CE do the flood appear? 25% of the way through the game, or 75%?

2. Knight666

Knight666 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't remember much of CE (it was so long ago). But in Halo 2 flood started to show from 30% til end.

Halo universum is based on flood and halo rings, so he rather won't avoid it in any Halo game. When i was kid i was scared too of flood but i keeped playing and it hardened me (or damaged my mind - still not sure).

3. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    CE about half the game is Flood. 2, about 70%. 3, about 70%. 3 ODST and Reach are Flood-free. The new trilogy doesn't seem to have any Flood focus outside some motion comic type flashbacks in terminals, so 4 and 5 are safe and I rather doubt there will be Flood in 6.

You could also play co-op and set it to easy, might help if they're seen as a trivial threat when you stomp them together.

4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Thanks! I got him started on Reach, and I'll keep ODST, 4, and 5 in the queue.

Yes, his desire to play Halo franchise but avoid the Flood entirely is silly, but when raising kids, some battles are worth fighting and some are not. This particular hill is not a hill I want to die on.

5. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I don't think a 7-year-old should be playing Halo, period.

kosti likes this.
  6. Tanner@XoticPC

Reputations:
    Agreed, pick your battles.

I kind of feel the same but for selfish reasons. I just don't like having to mute all the foul mouthed little brats when playing.

Mitlov likes this.
  7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    bb
    Okay, thanks for the input, I guess. I think it's okay and I'm his dad?

Edit: this is only single-player; I don't let him and his brother play anything online. So we're talking about seeing aliens and Spartans fight, not online idiots teabag each other.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  8. Tanner@XoticPC

Reputations:
    Can't speak for @saturnotaku but some people (not me) believe children should play less video games in general, and not play violent ones until they're a certain age. You've got the right idea IMO, a moderated experience with a parent involved for games is what I would consider ideal.

9. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    You are a bunch of tough parents lol.
    Played GTA III when I was like 10. I think I turned out pretty OK :D

10. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    My kids have a limit of 30 minutes per day per kid for video games, and I monitor everything they're playing. For the most part they play Minecraft, IL-2 Sturmovik, Starcraft II, and Mario Kart, and they're just now both getting into Halo. I would not let them play Call of Duty, Dead Space, or anything overtly "adult" like Bayonetta. However, I see single-player Halo as no worse than the Star Wars movies I watched growing up, and in many ways much more youth-friendly than Star Wars (there's a graphic dismemberment in the Cantina in episode 4, and most objectionable, implied female slavery in episode 6). So some Covenant alien falling over after being hit with an energy blast is entirely age-appropriate in my opinion.