Half Life - Alyx

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by cucubits, Mar 28, 2020.

1. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well poopies!

Looks like I spoke too soon about the good things on the G2.

Today when I connected it to mess with Boneworks some more, as soon as WMR fires up, the audio from the right speaker is staticky, garbled, completely broken.

I've been trying everything for the past few hours with no luck at all. At this point I honestly can't tell if it's a software issue from my side or something broken in the headset.

Here are more details on this, I've written a reddit post to see if I get some ideas:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/HPReverb/comments/k1u9q5/help_reverb_g2_crackling_and_garbled_audio_from/

Any suggestions are welcome.

I'd really love to get these working... not a fan of the idea of paying $1k for the Index but I will return the G2 if I can't get this solved.

JRE84 likes this.
  2. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    sounds like software....id try uninstalling audio drivers and uninstalling all software then reninstall everything cept audio and see if the sound stops crackling...like just use generic drivers at first

3. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    My laptop fan is being fixed as I type should be ready in an hour...going to give Alex another go....super excited...been without a gaming system for a month...hopefully I get a coffee and pull an allnighter

4. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This was my feeling too but I tried everything I could think of. I've updated all drivers, I've reinstalled WMR, made sure the speaker contacts are clean and seated properly, I've even bought a powered USB 3.0 hub just to make sure it's not that... nothing works, the right audio channel is always garbled/cuts out/staticky.

It's a bit concerning how many I see complaining about very similar issues. At this point I'm not even sure I'd like to RMA it. I'm considering just returning it and moving on to something else. Not happy about this, the image quality really is awesome...

Also, I am not compromising by removing the speakers and using my own headset. Not dealing with one more cable and I really liked how these off-ears sound.

JRE84 likes this.
  5. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    bummer...i have issues also... the guy that fixed my fans broke my wifi card now my laptop has no wifi/bluetooth....so frustrating dealing with cheaply made electronics

cucubits likes this.
  6. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Update, I'm 100% convinced now that it's a fault with the G2. I just realized I had a mini HDMI port on my work laptop, hooked it up and sure enough, even without starting WMR, just by playing with the audio slider in windows, the right channel plays garbled/staticky audio. No way it's a driver issue.

Hopefully Connection customer service will play nice. Waiting on a reply from them, if nothing by Monday, I'll try calling.

JRE84 likes this.
  7. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    dude im so sorry....you waited months and this...damn not cool.

cucubits likes this.
  8. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks, appreciate it!

I can't be too mad, this is sort of expected with releases of new hardware. There aren't really any viable alternatives out there currently. With a full Index kit costing $400 more than the G2, I just can't consider it. Fingers crossed that Connection support will take care of this quickly.

JRE84 likes this.
  9. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    i finally beat the next two parts....just passed the area with new gun but just skipped past it unless i get it later

10. Jontoad

Jontoad Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I still haven't finished this game yet. My hard drive with my OS on it failed. I had to reinstall windows and I just got everything back to normal and running. since i was able to install Windows 20h2 the HP controllers work now. i still prefer the odyssey controllers, but I'll probably stick to the HP ones so i can give my old Samsung Odyssey to my niece.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
    JRE84 likes this.