Half Life - Alyx

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by cucubits, Mar 28, 2020.

1. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The globe that you grab onto and turn and activate with your tool..but to get the door to open there is a hidden slot for your tool under the console...more luck and randomness to solve it vs intelligence....reminds me of a bone headed IQ test question I came across with a better answer not listed

2. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's sort of how they intended to play the game. Rather than just running through, they want you to explore pretty thoroughly each environment. It is rewarding as a VR experience, just to mess around with objects and try out things. The globe puzzle will keep returning but once you get used to it, it'll be easy. Yes, there are a couple not so obvious puzzles, either with story items hidden or cables in the walls which need to be traced through difficult places.

Don't give up. When you meet Jeff later it'll be all worth it :p:D

JRE84 likes this.
  3. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @cucubits found this trying it out now looks amazing

moral hazard and cucubits like this.
  4. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @cucubits im trying to get gta v to work in vr with real mod can you please help...I did everything it says to do and its always crashing in first second of game starting with one eye blacked out....currently re downloading the game yet again

5. cucubits

Reputations:
    Sorry, haven't tried that yet. I only played Alyx, a bit of Boneworks and The Labs. I do have a few more on my list which I'd like to try and for sure GTA sounds very interesting to see in VR.

If it still won't work after you re-download it, I can try it out too... just that I need to make some room. With the size on the latest games, my tiny 512Gb SSDs are always full.

JRE84 likes this.
  6. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    oh ok but gta v in vr does sound pretty sweet

7. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I finally got it working had to do exactly as shown...settings and all....its very cool...a close second to alyx

8. cucubits

Reputations:
    Well, I've got myself into a new predicament :)

After 17 weeks in the queue, I've got the option now to buy the Index. If this would have happened a few weeks ago, I'd probably jump on it without a 2nd thought but since then I've started looking into other headsets too and the HP Reverb G2 caught my eyes.

There are quite a few pro and cons to be considered and if I write them down, probably it'll make the decision a bit easier.

Valve Index:
    + can get it now
    + slightly higher FOV
    - lower resolution
    - "classic" base station tracking setup (this is a minus maybe just for me considering my room)
    - $750 for Headset and controllers (I already have a pair of base stations with a Vive set but it would be easier to sell the whole Vive set)

HP Reverb G2:
    - preorder with "coming soon" ETA
    - slightly lower FOV
    + higher resolution
    + tracking (while not tested thoroughly, their "inside out" tracking seems to work great - there are 4 cameras on the headset which track the controllers, and position the headset itself, no base stations required). This is a very big plus for me as I'd play in various places and moving base stations around is not an option.
    + $600 for Headset and controllers (no base stations required)

Other things to consider, maybe the Index controllers are better but this is subjective. I found the Vive controllers quite good too, I was sure I was holding a 1911 while playing Alyx :)

Also, the first on the list, availability, is not really an issue for me. I've got other things going on at the moment and I wouldn't have too much time for VR anyway, so I don't mind waiting some more.

In any case, we have 6 more days to decide if I go through or cancel the Index order, although looking at this now, it's sort of clear which way I'm trying to talk myself into going. Maybe others have similar pickles, in which case I'd like to hear about it :)

9. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    oooooh thats a tough descision..I say go for the higher resolution if you dont care about finger tracking.

here

@cucubits after some research yeah the g2 is the better headset the resolution gets rid of most of the screen door effect which is a huuge deal.

look at it this way which will throw you more out of the game screen door effect or pressing a button vs using fingers....obviously the screen door effect....g2 all the way bro

edit this guys the boss and he says the g2 is his new daily driver....he owns all vr heasets

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2020
    cucubits likes this.
  10. cucubits

Reputations:
    Yes, I'm more and more convinced about the G2 as well. Thanks for looking into this, I appreciate the insight.