Half Life - Alyx

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by cucubits, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Jontoad

Jontoad Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    i haven't had any issues or anything break on my G2 so far. hopefully your RMA replacement is a good one.

i did buy a 3d printed face gasket for mine from a guy on the G2 facebook page for wider FOV and it works great. i also ordered the VRbrothers rear piece that has an adjustment knob on it from amazon. it's not here yet though. i miss the tension adjustment knob that my samsung odyssey had on the back of it.

i have also been using the mamut gunstock with the mamut dx grips, but i had to modify the grips a bit to work well.

2. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I hope it'll work out too. I do miss VR.

Good to hear it's been working well for you.

Do you have a picture of the face gasket you mention? I do remember the clear sweet spot is very small with the stock one. I'd be happy to try to print one.

3. Jontoad

Jontoad Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    i used velcro to put the stock nose piece on it, but i might change that to adhesive to make it more flush. it fits great how it is though. any smaller of a gasket and my eye lashes would touch the lenses. i have long eye lashes though.

20210124_000546[1].jpg

20210124_000615.jpg

20210124_000508.jpg

20210124_000827.jpg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    cucubits likes this.
  4. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, it's decision time. The G2 is here but I'm afraid to touch the box.

I'm considering just putting it up for sale as new/sealed and be done with it.

- If it's a lemon I can't stress enough how much I don't want to deal with HP RMA process again. If it's working, I'd still be expecting it to blow up at any random moment...
    - If it's working and I decide to sell it later, I will have to do it cheaper as it will be used.

5. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I havent heard of any recalls..sometimes it appears to be a mass problem when its not...open it use it enjoy...I highly doubt every unit is defective seems pretty absurd that a big company like HP would sell flawed headsets

6. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    In a sad but hilarious twist, yes, HP managed to cock up once more. Looks like the whole batch of RMA replacement units were sent out with missing speakers.

Sure enough, the replacement unit I received hasn't got any speakers. I did get a very quick reply from customer chat, and an HP employee on reddit confirmed too, they will send out speakers. Haven't got an email confirmation yet so who knows how long this will take.

I have only one question, how bad one has to be at their job to package and send out units without even checking if they are complete. How is that person employed by HP? They can't blame it on the factory as the boxes were not sealed. I got in a large box, my original box with the bad headset taken out and next to it, a smaller box with a new replacement headset - missing speakers.

So yeah... I would advise anyone to stay as far away from HP as possible.

JRE84 likes this.
  7. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    omg dude you are so unlucky unreal.....hang in there as frustrating as it may be

cucubits likes this.
  8. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nah, I'm not dealing with HP anymore. Even if it works at first when I get the speakers (if I get them), I can't stop just thinking about how fragile these seem to be and how randomly and suddenly issues come up. If it breaks again, I truly don't want to have to deal with HPs incompetent agents. Sorry if this sounds bad but I've given them all the benefit of doubt I had. I've always been polite yet they always tell me different stories and just give me the runaround. None of them just owned up to the mess they started.

The shipping time for an Index is 2 weeks now. I've placed an order and I'll sell the G2 as soon as I have all the parts.

I already feel much better. Also not having to deal with WMR anymore is a great welcome bonus.

JRE84 likes this.
  9. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    lol, 2 polar opposite updates today

- the missing speakers from the replacement G2 are back-ordered. No one knows how long it will take HP to send a pair to me.
    - Valve already shipped the Index today. It will be here on Friday. Can't wait for a VR filled weekend :)

JRE84 likes this.
  10. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Why on earth would you buy a wired headset that is tethered...oculus 2 is a no brainer....index is like buying a laptop without an operating system...movies web games all built in wirelessly is the future not two screens wired to a computer. I hope your happy but id say the oculus 2 with 512gb is the future