Half Life - Alyx

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by cucubits, Mar 28, 2020.

1. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    HL alyx is truely the tip of the iceberg as far as immersion and video games go...if this doesnt get game of the year I will never read a review again.

2. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    looks like gamespot gave it game of the year..it really is something else unlike anything ever released....new level and echelon of gaming spawning an era of hyper realistic and immersive gaming

Jontoad likes this.
  3. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    A short update on my G2 saga. Spoiler: it's not going to be a happy story.

I had zero communication from Connection.com (official HP retailer in the US), nothing, after the initial faulty unit was delivered they completely stopped replying to any emails.

I did have some luck contacting straight up HP service but from here it goes downhill. Back at the beginning of December when I noticed the issue, I chatted with an HP rep and after explaining all the troubleshooting steps I took, he told me I would get a replacement in 2-3 business days (spoiler: he was lying). I agreed, he opened the case and in a couple days HP shipped me an empty shipping box to send my unit to them. I did as instructed, I packed up everything and dropped off at a Fedex location. HP received my faulty unit on Dec 4th. At this point I was pretty happy since I had just been told it would take a couple days. Nothing for about a week so I get on the chat with HP but this time their story changed. The first rep I talk to says he has no access to the system which could tell me when I will receive my unit but he can give me a phone number to a warehouse where they can help me (spoiler: he was lying). All good, I write down the number and call. After spending a short eternity on the line, a guy answered and explained to me that they do not handle anything related to VR headsets, they're just for computers but he can help, he'd give me a number where to call (spoiler: he was lying). All good, I write down the number and call. Deja vu? Deja vu? :) Hilariously, I get on the line with the initial guy I spoke with, who had given me the number to the "computers warehouse guy". So yeah, I was getting the textbook runaround. At this point it was pretty clear, they have no idea what's going on and most likely haven't set aside stock for RMA units.

Fast forward a few weeks my service ticket status now just got updated with an ETA of... wait for it... 02/26/2021. Yes, THREE months (maybe) turnaround for an RMA unit while HP is actively shipping more recent orders.

This is completely unacceptable and HP essentially screwed me out of my 30 day return/refund window. I can't ask for a refund because I have nothing to send back to Connection, my unit is still being held hostage at HP service center.

Needless to say I want nothing to do with a G2 anymore so when/if I receive it, I will sell it and go for something else. Most likely an Index. I was thinking about ordering one already but to be honest, I'm not in a rush, I have quite a few side projects going on now and Cyberpunk is keeping me busy.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    hfm and JRE84 like this.
  4. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    in vr the screen is the lowest common denominator.....quest 2 g2 are your only options otherwise you will have to live with blurry and or screen door effect.

1 vote for quest 2 with elite strap...facebook isnt needed anymore so i think

there is more to a vr headset than just games (movies,apps,vr desktop,convinence) and since the quest can be used wirelessly and stand alone you can technically do like 4 times more with it.

And dude why would you punish yourself over facebook?

Quest 2 is easily the best headset overall, wireless and standalone as well as oculus link,

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021 at 10:56 AM
    cucubits likes this.
  5. cucubits

Reputations:
    Yeah, I keep hearing good things about the Quest 2. We'll see, I'll do some more research before making a decision. After playing for a very short time with the G2, I'm not sure how I feel about inside out tracking. Maybe I should've stuck to my initial plan and got an Index. By the time I make up my mind, another one will come out :)

JRE84 likes this.
  6. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    dude I own the quest 1 and just about bought the index...I had no clue id use wireless and the headset for more things than gaming...in the end im super happy everytime I use it and I almost never play vr games and when I do I can just put it on and play beat saber, pavlov, and vader all with sweet graphics and great tracking.....what im getting at is with the controllerless tracking aka hand tracking for use outside of games its simply the best and many people have claimed that....and what am I getting at the quest two is better by a long shot in everyway except for black levels..quest one has the oled so its king for videos.. in fact

I feel like saying buy the quest two and if you dont like it ill pay for it.....its that good and I have lots of money...inheritance...but ill think about it a bit more

cucubits likes this.
  7. cucubits

Reputations:
    Come on, be serious :) It's not about the money, I really do despise what facebook ended up becoming and how they hog up, buy and use for their interests all these companies... especially now with the whatsapp mess... I really don't what to support anything related to them.

I don't know what to say, if I get a chance to test the G2 in Alyx and it works as well as the Vive did, I may still end up keeping it... on the other hand, from what I keep reading around, it may not be so enjoyable (lots of issues with the controllers).

I really was ready to just buy an Index and not even touch the G2 when/if it comes back from HP, but the only thing stopping me is that I really have a lot of other side quests going on :) For the gaming part, Cyberpunk is making me happy, and otherwise I got pretty recently into astronomy and I'm designing, printing, building a telescope.

JRE84 likes this.
  8. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    honestly I dont have facebook and hate them but I own a quest 1 and am very very happy with it, and now that the quest 2 is out and its 3 times as good im thinking of the upgrade and will testify it must be as good as people are saying...no way millions are wrong in such a small market as VR

cucubits likes this.
  9. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    looking pretty amazing

maybe they will copy this

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021 at 4:05 AM