Half Life - Alyx

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by cucubits, Mar 28, 2020.

1. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think this one deserves a thread on its own.

Just tried it for the first time today and I'm completely blown away. They've done an amazing job designing this for VR. It's obvious they put a lot of thought in the environments with so many details to keep the player focused on what's around him and not so much on the motion from one place to another.

After about 2 hours I haven't experienced any motion sickness but I am using one of the more conservative movement settings, the blink, a sort of teleport but it's not sudden, it just moves quickly, in a straight line, to the selected spot. Works very well. Free motion is available too.

I love the gravity gloves so much. Makes exploring the surroundings and picking up objects very engaged and fun. Basically they found the best way to avoid having to actually move to all the objects or crouching physically for every item on the floor. Only got to use the first pistol. Looks like a 1911 and it feels awesome. Aiming down the sights, shooting at zombies honestly feels so real. Ejecting and replacing magazines is also done in a very smart way, not too easy (not just a button press) but it's very intuitive.

For now I'm plying it on an older Vive set. The resolution and FOV feel fine, the graphics are the best I've seen in a VR game/demo so far. I haven't tried the Index so I can't compare but I would love to hear some opinions if someone tried both.

If I don't upgrade to the whole Index set, I may still get the new controllers. I feel they would improve the enjoyment of this game even further. The thumb pads on the classic controllers are not the greatest and not very responsive.

killkenny1 likes this.
  2. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Yep, looks amazing so far.
    Will grab it on sale :D

3. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

You forced me too check it out and here I thought t was just going to be a tech demo.....this looks amazing, MUST GET VR

4. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Looks like fun, but I'm not interested in investing in VR just to play this and a handful of other things. It's a huge investment. At least with RTX that everyone and their mom likes to bash the actual video card plays every game.

To be clear I'm also glad they didn't release a non-VR version. The VR version undoubtedly would have been compromised to spend resources and design complexity on that. I hope everyone that invested in VR likes it.

5. cucubits

Reputations:
    I'm sure a non-VR version mod will be created at some point but yes, it's clearly designed with VR only in mind so a non VR version would be a simple (albeit very pretty) Half-Life game.

6. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    cucubits likes this.
  7. cucubits

Reputations:
    headcrabs!

After a longer session I find myself looking around the apartment, waiting for one of these to jump out.

They moved faster than I expected.

My advice, please please don't play it non VR first.

It's so worth it to take in the design and atmosphere in VR for the first playthrough.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2020
  8. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm not interested, maybe someday.

9. cucubits

Reputations:
    Has anyone ordered Index hardware from Valve recently? Their order estimation of "over 8 weeks" seems sort of random. Does it really take that long or even longer?

I really want to try the new controllers but if it takes that long I might as well get on the headset queue too.

10. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations: