Had to put the Vaio VPCZ13 inside the freezer to update to Fall Creators Update

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Paloseco, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  2. Paloseco

Paloseco Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  3. galaxyge

galaxyge Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thermal problems can even be found in 2015 mobile phones. Just put my Sony Z5 into the freezer for some cache cleaning task which caused it to overheat and shutdown before.
    Thanks for the hint!!

IMG_0337.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paloseco likes this.
  4. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  5. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The upgrade to 1709 worked, but things are a little buggy. The NVIDIA driver 342.01 (duly patched) kept failing to install. Installed it manually via device manager, but some components were still missing, so I ran the NVIDIA installer again, and it uninstalled the driver and the installation failed again. Sigh! Anyway, installed the drivers through device manager again (for the graphics adapter and HD Audio separately). The NVIDIA control panel appeared in the desktop context menu after rebooting.

Windows Task Manager is showing TWO ethernet interfaces - I only have one. I think it is supposed to show the GPU performance graph also, which it isn't but that might be because the GPU is very old.

I have a third party firewall installed, but Windows doesn't know, and keeps bugging me to turn the Windows firewall on.

Some things that I don't like in this version: The power options panel only shows the currently selected plan - nothing else. To change the plan, you have to go to Windows Mobility, then choose the plan under 'battery status'.

6. Paloseco

Paloseco Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You have to enable Test mode on Windows 10, enable installation of unsigned drivers, and uninstall previous nvidia driver. Also, patch first the driver with the INF patched link is on previous post.

The driver version is the nvidia nvidia 21.21.13.4201 which is filename 342.01-notebook-win10-64bit-international.exe

About the network interfaces, to me it's showing 6 because I have virtual adapters from Virtualbox and VMware and such so it's ok. If you go to Settings > Network > Ethernet > Change adapter options probably you have there 2 so they are shown on the task manager which is great.

Don't be so negative, it's not a big deal and sooner or later you will have to upgrade to have latest security updates and features.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  7. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I know all that - I've been doing it 7 years on this laptop, first with nautis' and Andrew08's hybrid drivers, then with the BIOS hack and ComputerCowboy's patched drivers.

Good point about the virtual ethernet adapters.

Wasn't moaning much about the new Windows release - just about upgrading (in place upgrade) as opposed to a clean install. IMHO upgrading (in place) is more likely to result in a buggy system. Little things like, I'm having to manually connect to my wifi every time I boot up. I'll do a clean install in a few days; let's see if that fares better.

I like this Windows release. Lots of cool stuff that's there on my Dell Vostro 3468 (i3 7th gen); some of it is not visible on my Z1. Maybe Dell did some customisation.