GX660 Screen upgrade?

Discussion in 'MSI' started by G.F.Y., Jul 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G.F.Y.

G.F.Y. Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hey there guys, I was wondering if i'm able to swap out my (terrible) screen for another one of the same size, i'm fed up with the horrid colors/screen angles/black levels. (it's the 1366x768 screen btw.)

for all your Gx660R owners out there, how's your 1080p screen?

I've also got a first gen hp envy 15 here with a wonderful 1080p screen. think I can swap it out?

I believe both are the same 40 pin connectors behind the lcd.

Thanks! :D

2. Thanatospy

Thanatospy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi GFY, yes you can swap your display without problem, the wuxga display have amazing colors/contrast, games suffers some drops of fps in a std machine, in my case with all my upgrades it works perfect, good luck

edit: i buy this display

3. qloony

qloony Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    hi guys, i also plan on upgrading my gx660-260us screen with the auo b156hw01 v.4 screen that has full hd resolution, matte screen, and 95% ntsc color gamut. its supposed to be alot better than the regular screen, but its so rare to find and expensive, so i dont wanna make any mistake.

anybody tried this before? since i kinda worry that upgrading from 1366x768 resolution to 1920x1080p will cause some issue.

gfy, do you plan to buy other screen besides swapping with your hp envy one? if so, which one are you considering?

thanatospy, is that LP156WF1 screen of yours has 95% ntsc color gamut? hows the picture quality compare to the regular gx660 screen?

thanks

4. G.F.Y.

G.F.Y. Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Right now i'm currently eyeing Thantospy's link, it's got a really good price, and judging by his description, it's an excellent screen.

Though I too would want to know where I can get (or if the one provided by Thanatospy ) a 95% ntsc color gamut screen, and if it works.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. :)

@Thanatospy

Thanks for the link bro! I really appreciate it. :) Looks like a really good deal!

Say, just how far can you compare the original 1366x768 screen with the one you have right now?

5. Thanatospy

Thanatospy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You are welcome guys, you kill me there i really don't know if the display have the 95% ntsc color gamut :s, what i can say is this display have much better viewing angles and blacks, also better contrast, the color of both screens are ok for me but in this one "feels" better i think because of the screentype, ill try to find something about the ntsc thing

6. qloony

qloony Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi gfy,

The auo b156hw01 v.4 matte screen is really hard to find coz theres so much fake ones roaming around the internet, especially on ebay. Its pretty famous with its picture quality as u can search lots of review in this forum, but its pretty rare since i read somwhere in this forum that it is already discontinued (havent found confirmation on this tho), most reputable US seller like gentechpc and xotic already list them out of stock with unknown ETA.

The only reputable seller i could find that still offer this screen is lee from kuzotronic.com based in the UK. Hes a member here as well, and mentioned quite a few times from satisfied customers. Even him is pre-order only for about 3 weeks.

And to add to all this confusion, the price is ranging from 130usd to 250usd. Since gentech, xotic, kuzo and a few other thread that i found mentioned the price at least 200usd, i tend to find anything less than that is too good to be true. Anything less than 200usd mostly found on ebay.

Also, i havent found anybody that tried putting it in gx660, mostly people put it in gx660R or sager 8150, so i dont know if its compatible or not, still trying to make sure of this.

7. G.F.Y.

G.F.Y. Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Guys, think I need a bios update for the 660R's screen to work on mine?

I tried swapping my envy 15's 1080p screen in...works dandy, all except for red tint, and only around half the pixels are lit.

like IxIxIxI

I= Lit pixels

So I swapped back my old led.
    (the hp envy led works fine when it's in the original unit.)

@qloony

cripes, so this 95% gamut screen is better in what way? Does it beat the RGB led of the m17x r2? thanks. :)

8. qloony

qloony Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @gfy

the 95% ntsc color gamut represent color as closest as the real color, so what you see is what you print, you can check out the review here http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/553185-visual-differences-between-different-screen-options-photos.html

but if you think of it, the gx660 has one of the worst screen out there, in terms of color and contrast, so any upgrade should look better than the old one

i havent read any review or pictures for the m17x rgb led, so couldnt really compare between the two

9. G.F.Y.

G.F.Y. Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    @qloony

Thanks a million for the link! Seems this is what i need for I deal with photography and digital art. :)

Cripes, too bad it has reached it's end of life..

Maybe we can find a elusive one being sold somewhere? haha.

10. qloony

qloony Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @gfy

i havent order anything as of now, but im 90% sure to buy from kuzotronic.com since everywhere else that seems legit sold out, and the rest is the cheaper ebay version, which is pretty shaddy as they are cheaper and always in stock, while the big sellers couldnt even get their hands on one.

the problem now is to find somebody who actually successfuly tried putting it in a gx660, reading thanatospy's post bout his success with the LG screen gives me comfort, but then your post with your envy 15's screen problem put me in doubt again --! dont wanna spend that much money if it couldnt work perfectly with my gx660.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.