[GUIDE] UX32VD - How to install Windows 7 on the integrated 32GB SSD

Discussion in 'Asus' started by dunces, Jun 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dxong

dxong Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Having installed a 256gb ssd (samsung 830) and partitioned it in equal size for program and data.

My question is, what can I do with the 32gb issd besides from another storage solution?

Is there a way to make use of it to avoid loading on my 256gb sdd by using issd as caching?

2. pitha1337

pitha1337 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello, the 3DMark2011 screenshot of the first page shows nearly 4000 points in physics. Why do I only get 1100 points with my UX32VD? Is there any driver I have missed? The newest version of nvidia physix is installed and 3dMark ist running on the NVDIA GPU. The only difference is that i have the core i5 edition.

p.s. Do I need to run 3d applications with the power cord connected?

3. nikopoussmouss

nikopoussmouss Newbie

Reputations:
    hi guys,
    first thanks a lot for the guide. I struggled a bit with installing windows from a bootable USB but indeed the USB gets detected at first boot but then not when the windows install starts so you need to reinstall the USB port drivers...

Quick question - I installed Win7 SP1 yesterday night, part of the windows update. And this morning when I tried to boot, the 32gb SSD disappeared from my BIOS boot menu, so it seems I can only boot from the Hitachi drive. Bad news is that I already got rid of factory installed windows on that drive.

Any trick to have the SSD show up again in the BIOS boot sequence? maybe flash the bios? I had no time to tinker with it yet this morning before leaving to work, but if anyone has a suggestion...
    Thanks!

4. ts85

ts85 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi everyone. I have big problem that is getting on my nerves.

Ive followed this guide on how to install windows 7 on issd disk on my ux32vd.

Ive done exactly as it says. Ive download a brand new copy of windows 7 premium and tryed installing them with both winsetupusb and microsoft usb tool.

Well the first time i tryed i download the wrong file, i took the x86 home premium and well i got so far that i came to the installation when it suddenly ask for drivers. "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now." I tryed everything and i have followed many guides, but nothing worked, but as i said i found out that ive download the x86 version.
    So well know ive download the right version and when i try to boot from my usb now i says:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. Fit the problem:
    1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
    2. Choose your laungage settings, and then click next.
    3. Click "Repair your computer"

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe
    Info: The selected entry could not be loaded becuse the application is missing or corrupt.

And ive really tryed everything, ive tryied repair, ive tryed disable/enable boot options in bios, ive updated bios, but nothing seems to help.

So i really need your help now cause im about to throw out the computer trough my window...

5. dunces

dunces Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hey ts85, I hope you haven't thrown it out the window just yet. ;)

Windows install can sometimes be a mess and can cause loads of different kinds of errors. I feel for ya, I've had my share of that too. It's strange that it won't even load the installation files.

The safest bet is always to use an external DVD-drive, since Windows can have a hard time with some USB-stick configurations in laptops. For me it worked flawlessly right away using a simple external DVD-reader/burner.

Try to boot from both UEFI and non-UEFI, someone else had a problem related to that. Also double check that you have correctly deployed the Windows install to your USB-stick.

The "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now." message is a common Windows 7 installation problem. It seems like nikopoussmouss solved that by installing USB port drivers during installation, it would be great if he could share how he solved that so it will help other with the same issue.

Also nikopoussmouss, is the iSSD listed when you check which SATA devices your zenbook has in the bios? If nothing else works, I'd use parted magic to secure erase the iSSD (as explained in the guide - note that you need at least the 6_19 version), it should make it appear so you can re-install Windows on it.

Keep trying, I hope it works out for both of you.

6. nikopoussmouss

nikopoussmouss Newbie

Reputations:
    thx dunces. go figure after a couple of reboot the ssd reappeared on its own... go figure :) this morning the issd was not listed at all, just had the hitachi.
    need to back up stuff now in case it rehappens someday!

7. ts85

ts85 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well i dont have a external dvd/cd, and i dont know anyone that has either, and to buy one just becuse of this installation is not an option, cause its not even sure that will work.

Ive tryed to boot from uefi non uefi, but the funny thing is the uefi only shows when u have formated youre usb to fat32 and copied all of the installationsfiles to the usb. Cause the microsoft usb installation program makes the usb ntfs and well with ntfs the uefi option is no more, why is that?

Well that aint a problem anymore, its was just when i tryed installing x86, cause as i said i download the wrong backup first, so first off all i need to find a solution for this.

8. ts85

ts85 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How did you reinstall the usb-port drivers? From factory installed windows 7 ? Download usb-drivers from asus homepage?

9. ts85

ts85 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Might this be the problem? Ive downloaded the home premium x64 english, but on my factory settings i have the home premium x64 swedish edition??

Cause you cant choose the swedish language for home premium x64 on the link on this forum? Why? How am i supposed to get the swedish home premium x64 then?

10. Pettza78

Pettza78 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ts85: First thing I would try is to use some form of partition manager boot stick to reformat the ssd. Then you should be able to reinstall, remember to boot from usb and not the ssd. I used a fat32 formatted stick for my install. You should be able to select Swedish during the install if you want it.

I would like to know how everyone did with usb drivers because I didn't have any drivers after install.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.