1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Guide to installing W7(64) on Vaio VGN Z

Discussion in 'Sony' started by sigma957, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Metsn

Metsn Maiku Hama Yokohama

Reputations:
    Hi :D

I did reinstall my VGN-Z recently, so it's relatively fresh in my mind.

First of all I would recommend you to do fresh install of your Vaio, using the guide in the first post of this thread, but change all drivers to the latest versions of the latest VGN-Z made from US support site (use UniExtract to extract version protected drivers), maybe except for 3G modem drivers, as they are area specific.

Also I would highly recommend to exchange your HDD for a SSD, if you didn't do it already. It makes huge difference in case of VGN-Z.

As for cleaning the fan, I did put the Vaio to small pieces, but from my experience I wouldn't recommend doing that ;) Just buy a compressed air and clean it well with that.

I did undervolting with this guide. So no, it's not in the BIOS. It takes some time, but makes some difference :)

About the silent mode. You'll probably need some newer/different version of Vaio Event Service and VCC. The problem is, that if you install VES without clean install it might break some of functions, like FN keys or GPU switching. That's another reason I would recommend clean install with newest drivers and utilities. You might try reinstalling VCC only though, that shouldn't break anything (no promise ;) )

The "silent mode" can be found under VCC/Power Management/Power Options/Thermal Control Strategy. Silent mode will cripple CPU performance, but it's great for times when you want your nb completely silent. I have Thermal Control Strategy on S2 button, so I could change it anytime.

btw... all drivers and utilities work with all versions of Win7

Good Luck!

2. rodpalacios

rodpalacios Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Metsn, I have two short questions for you.
    1- After you clean W7 insatall, did you have any trouble with sound when connecting to a TV using the HDMI port? In my case (after a W7x64 clean install) image is perfect but I get no sound trough the HDMI port. I remember serching for a solution a while ago and apparently it's a grafic card (gforce93000m) driver problem. I was never able to solve it
    2- What is your experience with the X25-M SSD? Did you follow an SSD installation guide? if so would you recomend it?
    cheers!
    R

3. evalon

evalon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Metsn,

Thanks for your thorough outlines & comments to how the undervolting & cleaning & noise reduction can be done ;-) I'll look into the various ways in this and post here when I - hopefully - get through without issues...

Greetings & thanks again!

Jesper

4. Metsn

Reputations:
    1] I do actually, but I thought it is because of not original GPU drivers. It's not a big deal though, because in my case I just need to go to Control Panel/Sound and set HDMI as default (when the cable is connected). Then it works.

2] Very good :) I love SSDs. I have three computers with SSDs at home right now - Intel X25-M, 520 & 330 series. When I was installing my first SSD (it was a Samsung one at that time) I did follow many installation guides. But not anymore. W7 is well optimized for SSDs and after clean installation I always install original Intel SSD Toolbox, which does all Intel recommended tweaks for me. I also schedule manual TRIM once a week. I''m using X25-M
    in my Z since it came out and didn't have a single problem with it...knock knock

Good luck :) btw...you'll never be able to make Z completely silent while doing some CPU demanding job like Sound editing. But it can became completely silent while using Word and so on... The problem is, that there's no way (at least some I would know of) how to setup, when the fan should kick in...

5. rodpalacios

rodpalacios Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you for your answers Metsn, I had already tried setting the HDMI as defult output in the Control Panel/Sound (while the cable was plugged int) but that did not work for me. I'll try installing a different driver version.
    cheers
    R

6. evalon

Reputations:
    Hi again,

@Metsn: Following up on my previous post here I tried a clean install but this has caused some issues like e.g. the computer only responding to some of the function (Fn) keys and the battery charge settings not being available, nor the silent mode ...

I tried to download the drivers from the Sony US site, however, without much success. I was only able to download VPZC (something like that) files - and although extracting them with uniextract they didn't install on my computer. Maybe you have a model No. that I can search for on the Sony site?

Actually, I've reinstalled W7 several times (I have a 32 bit version - at least this is what installs on the computer) with different results for the settings and options in VCC ???? So also given your comment about the VES/VCC breaking links to FN keys or GPU I also wonder if there is a necessary sequence for installing the drivers, program features (like VCC) etc?

So far I have not installed the WWAN drivers but I don't use this so right now it is of less importance to me.

I've also tried to re-size and erase some of the drives on my harddisk (there's a C, D, E, F and G drive) but the windows 7 HD administrative feature for some reason doesn't allow me to erase a drive (like the G) or reduce the size of the C drive or transfer sizes between drives. Tried then to do it in the DOS prompt but it takes ages and I don't really know what I'm doing ... Can I ask if there is a software that makes this possible - also a complete reformatting and resizing of the harddisk?

Well, thanks for reading & I would appreciate your insights on this ;-)

Greetings,

Jesper

A P.S.: The speed/stamina switch doesn't work either ... Speed lights up but when switching to stamina nothing happens ...

7. evalon

Reputations:
    Hi again :)

Well, can't help but saying that I'm in a state of being grateful! Instead of doing things as I did with my previous Win XP notebook I now followed the sequence outlined by sigma957 in the first post of this thread and suggested by Metsn in a post just above this post and now things work!!! Even better than before actually, because the "silent" mode is now available which it wasn't before.

A few notes just in case somebody else may be interested:

My laptop is a Z21WN/B.

Before starting the install I formatted the C drive. And I used a 32 bit W7 and allowed W7 to install updates more than once as it kept saying that new updates were available - 3 times I think... Don't know if this matters but mention it just in case it does.

Then I restalled exactly in the sequence outlined in the first post except that I used a newer NVidia driver and the newest files of:

-Shared library,
    -event service,
    -smart network,
    -control center,
    -setting utility series (installed the original first as the upgrade wouldn't install without),
    -Power management

These are available here (language mostly in English) - didn't know exactly what to look for in the US site and these appear to be just as new as what I saw surfing the US site:

Sony : VAIO VGN-Z21WN/B-drivere | Download drivere og opdateringer for VGN-Z21WN/B

I didn't install the WWAN drivers as a small network connection dialog appeared at the top center of my screen showing that WWAN already worked before installing.

I also didn't install the 7UPG protector suite as apparently my laptop's processor doesn't support this. Nor did I install the Alps pointing driver or - yet - memory card reader drivers, nor the Realtek Audio driver. But may just do that later.

But everything appears to work :D :D :D :D ;) :) Wow, this really is magnificent - I've used days trying to sort out what could be the "culprit" in my previous installations, even if I installed the drivers' Sony had placed on their support website...

Many thanks again to Metsn & sigma957! Will try out undervolting one of these days.

Jesper

8. Metsn

Reputations:
    Congratulation :) You could use any drivers from latest VGN-Z types (not VPC-Z, they wouldn't work properly, as that's newer generation). But as long as it's working well, let it be the way it makes you satisfied :)

9. worgutl

worgutl Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a VGN Z570N and I have been able to get every other, device in my OC work flawlessly except for my HDMI output. I have 8GB RAM with 240GB sandisk SSD and installed the latest NVIDIA update for WIN 7 64BIT. I used the VGN Z620 Drivers and have also tried some other drivers I found online through google. nothing seems to work. my PC recognizes the TV and even lists its proper name but I can neither hear nor see anything on the TV while cloning, extending or making the TV the primary screen. If someone could give me a detailed walk through a fix I would greatly appreciate

10. Eltico30

Eltico30 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Hi METSN

I have a VGN-Z690 and just bught a samsung 830 ssd. Im on Bios 4044M3. Can you help me with a quick guide on how to install it. Do i need a different BIOS?

11. Metsn

Reputations:
    Hi Eltico30, you don't need to change BIOS version for a SSD upgrade. For changing HDD for SSD, just follow the official service manual. Good luck :)

12. crazinavy

crazinavy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    edit.. wrong thread sorry

13. resuyaber

resuyaber Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Seraching whole day . Thanks Dario !!! Globetrotter wwan modem drivers win7 64 bit

14. ninja52

ninja52 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    edit: nevermind, i installed sprint smartview and that fixed the problem
    see below post

15. ninja52

ninja52 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Okay i have three issues (Windows 8 Pro 64 bit, VGN-Z540):

1. Despite that my s1, s2, stamina/speed switch, and function keys are working, my eject key doesn't seem to work. I installed everything basically so I don't know why it doesn't.
    2. Protector Suite QL is incompatible with my machine. It installs okay, but when opening the program it says it isn't compatible and nothing loads in it. (win 8 pro 64 bit)
    3. This might have been mentioned already in this thread (op said that he was hoping somebody would find it, but never showed how), but how do you turn off wwan on startup in vaio smart network? it always says on the next startup even if i press off before. I have a sprint one (install sprint smartview) if that matters, and won't be using it soon. I disabled both of the startup entries.

16. yordanrhapsody

yordanrhapsody Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hi everybody
    I have a sony vaio Z11VN/B, exactly like the author of this post, but on the support download page of sony I can't find the BIOS posted here

in this page i can see that the latest BIOS available is R2169M3c

Sony : VGN-Z11VN/B updates | Download updates for VGN-Z11VN/B

but in the forst post is linked an FTP page with the r2170m3 and other bios... Is it safe to upgrade to the r2170m3?

EDIT: I tried and BIOS correctly installed, following I installed the drivers suggested and now my speed mode works BUT without Fn + - screen brightness