Guide to disassembling the G53JW and installing second hard drive

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by bendok, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myHostie

myHostie Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You do need to remove the screw above the bottom right screw at #7 to unlock the back panel. Otherwise, the back panel will not come off.

2. j00zl33t

j00zl33t Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wow awesome tutorial! Good job bendok!!

I do have a question though...so prior to doing all this i know i need to burn a win7 DVD. Does it have to be a boot DVD or just burn the iso regularly?

Also, how many times can I do a fresh OS install using the same CD key? I heard somewhere that once you delete the stock OS install, you're screwed and next time you do an install of windows 'anything', you have to provide a new key..any truth to this?

3. KaFOFO

KaFOFO Newbie

Reputations:
    I would also like to know the answer to this.

Bendok, did you have any problems activating windows 7 on your new SSD with the windows 7 product key provided on your laptop?

Thanks to anyone who could provide an answer and sorry for a noob-ish question.

4. Bloodstriker

Bloodstriker Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I currently have the A1 version, which comes with 6GB RAM, and I just ordered 1 SODIMM of 4GB 1333. I think the specs state that 8GB is the max (d'oh!!!).

Will the 4GB still work in the slot and the system will only address 8GB instead of 10GB? Or will I have to either replace the 4GB with a 2GB, or will I be able to remove one of the existing 2GB and have the new 4GB installed?

5. Donald@zTecpc

Donald@zTecpc Company Representative

Reputations:
    Just install the 4GB in the slot under the keyboard and it will recognize 10GB.

The G series ASUS laptops actually support 16GB total memory, even though the specs say 8GB.

6. myx

myx Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The i7 version supports 16gb, the i5 only 8 :)

7. toyota_scion_tc

toyota_scion_tc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How do you access the 4th memory chip? I know where its located now but cant figure out how to get to it.

I called Asus and they told me 8Gb only. I read in a few places 16Gb. Can anyone verify if this is true? Also is our memory triple channel compatible or only dual channel?

8. Donald@zTecpc

Donald@zTecpc Company Representative

Reputations:
    ASUS was reading from their specifications. the ASUS G53JW-A1 will support 16GB DDR3/1333. Since it is using 4 pieces it will not support triple channel, but dual and triple channel is 92% marketing fluff and 8% real performance improvement...not enough real world performance increase to even notice.

9. toyota_scion_tc

toyota_scion_tc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    next question I have had my computer appart, how the heck do you get to the one memory slot underneath the key board that is hidden under the sheet metal? I have seen three of the four slots. Kingston even shows 8Gb max.

10. Sigtyr

Sigtyr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think someone mentioned that it's under that black plastic in the middle, I'm not sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.