Guide to Cooling Down Your Notebook Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Charles P. Jefferies, Jun 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phill88

Phill88 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think I'm going to get myself a cooling pad.

2. eaglech

eaglech Newbie

Reputations:
    do you know how to clean the ASUS K42J fan ?
    it making pretty loud sound nowadays...

are there alternate way to clean the Fan
    any video here ,or step by step pictures?

thanks inadvance

3. bc2946088

bc2946088 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    In my experience once a fan makes noise, it's time for replacement. Depending on the type of fan it might be able to be fixed. For instance some bearing fans might be able to be lubricated, however, its typically easier to replace it. Also, I'm sure its covered elsewhere, but when using pressurized air, never let the fan spin freely.

4. eaglech

eaglech Newbie

Reputations:
    thanks bc2946088 for replying

the fan is okay i think, its like ,dust blocking the air ,leaving narrow tunnel for the air to flow, causing sound like the air flowing through flute.

if you,for a routine check (4 months once),want to clean the vent fan from the dust, what should you do ?

will you open the back casing?and how to open the Asus K42J 's casing that cover the ventilation fan
    (step by step guide, anyone?)

i also read some people using pressurized air to blow the vent from outside without open the casing, but some said it cannot clean most of the dust things inside.

5. JOSEA

JOSEA NONE

Reputations:
    I would check here http://forum.notebookreview.com/asu...es/517845-asus-k42jv-a42jv-owners-lounge.html
    OR post there , someone Should have an take apart guide.
    I would recommend taking it apart to clean properly.

6. jedisolo

jedisolo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well I just added a copper shim mod to my thinkpad T400 and right now both cores are sitting at a 39 C and the HD3470 GPU is sitting at 52 C and I have firefox with 16 tabs open, Seamonkey open with 10 tabs. I'm also watching some HD movies.

7. coffeefiend23

coffeefiend23 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just put some AS5 in my laptop.Ran it 29hrs straight before I shut it down & let it cool off for a bit.My temps where mid 60s on light loads before the AS5.
    Getting low to mid 40s now under light loads:) .Just now hit the 42hr mark.My room has been around high 70s to lower 80s @ 60% average humidity.Heres a few pics.1st,vent was pretty much clogged when I cleaned:eek: .Next 3 are temp & resource reads with date & times.I hope I applied just the right amount & not to much or to little.I made them pretty thin & level.Does it seem I did good?It is a acer aspire 5551-2036,P320 anthlon 2.1ghz & radeon Hd 4250

Attached Files:

8. warbic

warbic Newbie

Reputations:
    Figured I would just get the cheapest laptop cooler I could find, but now I gotta decide on the best one

9. ickibar123

ickibar123 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Get a box fan, lay it flat on your desk with some spacers so it can pump air. Put the laptop on top and turn the fan on ;) Seriously it'll beat out all the USB powered coolers.

If that's too ugly or causes your eyes to dry out, get a notebook cooler that has 12v fans, can take a wall wart and the fans are the right dimensions and location to do the job. Upgrade the 12V fans to ones that move more air if you need it.

10. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Just took a look at this. The undervolting section is horribly outdated. vbios flashing and throttlestop have made undervolting much easier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.