Guide: Samsung Recovery Solution 6 (SRS6) and Windows 10

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Gulfmaster, Aug 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gulfmaster

Gulfmaster Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @Renfro

Ok...here's what I think went wrong - your recovery hasn't been finalized or activated yet in the second to last step.

when you run Admintool.exe within windows and click on step 2, do you get a new .exe (RecoverySettingsSV.exe- or something like that) file on your desktop?
    Did you run that file with administrator privileges? It is imperative that you do for the recovery partition to finalize.

From what you say everything else has gone well, so you're almost there!
    You are right, Windows does get installed in the Data Partition.

I've never used hibernate, so I can only offer some assistance, but then I'm still going to need some more information.
    e.g. are you getting the hibernate option in your power settings? and of course the ubiquitous question - what is the problem you are facing?

Dannemand likes this.
  2. fullyZ

fullyZ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So in the end i decided to perform a full reset to windows 10 but maintaining the old recovery format as well as its content. My only problem now is that when i press F4 im able to enter the recovery but i receive errors about dll such as "api-ms-win-core-libraryloader-l1-2-0.dll" which in windows 8 were storaged in SySWOW64 but now in WinSxS. I copied it over and the error moved to another dll files.
    I would like to avoid messing up with files, do you have a solution for me?

3. TinyTurtle

TinyTurtle Newbie

Reputations:
    I've been attempting this to get a proper Win10 recovery (on a new SSD) in my 900X3C (running W10 x64) and this lovely guide seemed pretty foolproof, but I'm stuck on the USB AdminTool part. Creating it in the Samsung Recovery seem to work using a Kingston DT SE9 (16GB). I then disable the Fast BIOS Mode and restart (with the USB drive inserted in the USB 2.0 port) to alter the boot order but the AdminTool is listed not as "UEFI: 0.00" but as "Kingston DataTraveler 2.0". Restarting with it results in a slow load into the recovery mode, but as soon as it's loaded and I reach the Recovery window there is a popup saying "Exit Program" with "OK" and "Cancel" as options to choose. Regardless of if I click on either one or do nothing, the machine reboots.

Feeling a little stumped right now - do you clever people think its the thumb drive which is not compatible or what?

4. Gulfmaster

Gulfmaster Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @TinyTurtle
    Hi,
    I don't believe it's the pen drive that's at fault.

If you're trying to create a new recovery image after installing Windows 10, use the admintool from windows itself.

Booting into the USBAdmintool only serves the purpose to partition your drive.

Please make sure that you've updated to the latest version of Samsung Recovery v6.1.0.1 first.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  5. Gulfmaster

Gulfmaster Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @fullyZ

hi, if you are trying to boot into your original recovery after upgrading to Windows 10, it could be that you need to update Samsung Recovery to v6.1.0.1 first.

Would you confirm that you have in fact update Samsung Recovery to the latest version?

6. TinyTurtle

TinyTurtle Newbie

Reputations:
    Turns out I had the second-to-last version which was able to clone the existing installation to an external drive. I've updated to 6.1.0.1 and tried again and got the same result. Also did the same using an old old old 1GB Kingston Data Traveler DT1 (2.0) pen drive but got identical results. Your first tip with speed-pressing Ctrl+Alt-F10 didn't work either. Both pen drives were listed in BIOS as "Kingston Data Traveler 2.0" and not "UEFI: 0.00" - do you believe this is nothing to worry about?

You lost me on the partitioning there. Isn't it necessary to partition the new drive before installing Win10?

Currently I have this:
    * The stock SanDisk 128 GB SSD updated to Win10 and the original Win8 recovery.
    * A 256 GB Crucial M4, divided into two partitions (which will be scrapped) which I would like to install Win10 and a Win10 recovery on.
    Are you suggesting installing Win10 on the new drive and after that create a recovery image?

Again, thanks a million for helping us less awesome people making this work!

7. Gulfmaster

Gulfmaster Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @TinyTurtle

Thanks for your reply and description.
    I first assumed that you already had Windows 10 up and running with old recovery partitions hence my suggestion that you upgrade recovery to the latest version. I now understand that,

1. For your SanDisk 128GB - since you already have the recovery partitions in place and windows 10 installed.
    Therefore, all you have left to do is create a fresh Win10 recovery image and then activate it.
    Have you had any trouble with this?
    What is required is the update to the latest version of Samsung Recovery, and then running the admintool.exe from windows 10.

2. For the Crucial drive - I do suggest that you create your partitions first before installing windows. It's a whole lot easier that way.

I also used a Kingston Data Traveller 1GB as the USB Admin tool and even though it's listed as UEFI 0.00, I don't think it's anything to worry about because the drive is being identified as a boot device and you are able to boot from the pen drive.

Is Secure boot also turned off? - if not, you could try again after disabling secure boot in the bios setup, boot menu.
    Choose CSM and UEFI.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  8. Gulfmaster

Gulfmaster Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just to reconfirm - are you swapping the drives out or are they both connected and you have two hard drives to boot from?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  9. fullyZ

fullyZ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I can confirm i have the version you posted in your OT.
    To me all the functions seem there but i haven't tested them yet.
    Can you confirm that your SysWOW64 hasn't the mentioned *.dll file?

10. Gulfmaster

Gulfmaster Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @fullyZ

I could not located the file "api-ms-win-core-libraryloader-l1-2-0.dll"

I could however locate "api-ms-win-core-libraryloader-l1-1-0.dll" in multilple locations included WinSxS and SysWOW64

It is very strange problem that you're facing especially because you've maintained the old recovery image.
    I do remember facing this problem but it went away when I updated to v6.1.0.1, which you have also done.

Do you want to create a new recovery image or do you still want the old one?

I could suggest that you run admintool.exe from windows 10 and create a new image from there, but if you want the old image working, you could try booting into recovery, getting into advanced options by pressing ctrl+alt+f10 and importing the factory image.

You will have to export the factory image first which you can do from windows 10.

John Ratsey likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.