Guide: Samsung Recovery Solution 6 (SRS6) and Windows 10

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Gulfmaster, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hi @Francoise, welcome to NBR.

John is spot on: If your model has ExpressCache (a small SSD used for caching) then installing Windows from USB flash drives will not work, because Windows Setup gets confused by that small SSD and tries to use it as boot drive -- but it cannot physically be booted. Thus you get exactly the problem you're seeing.

The easiest solution is to install from a DVD instead, since that avoids the confusion of Windows Setup.

If you don't have a DVD drive, so you have to install from a USB flash drive, there are various workarounds described in the first two posts of this thread.

There is also a comprehensive Windows 7/8 install guide specifically for Samsung laptops in post #40 of that same thread.

Please post in that thread if you have any further questions, since this thread is specifically for Samsung Recovery Solution, which is not a factor in your situation.

And please do keep us informed of your progress :)

TANWare and John Ratsey like this.
  2. Easkils

Easkils Newbie

Reputations:
    Can we use some CMD to do that ? are there any free ways ?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  3. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hi Easkils, welcome to NBR.

All of the methods for working around the iSSD issue are free. And most of them (except installing from DVD) require using command line.

Again, it's in the first two posts of the thread linked below. It really is off topic for this thread here, which is about Samsung Recovery Solution.

GUIDE: How to install Windows 7 or 8 via USB on NP700Z

4. Felix74

Felix74 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    i'm looking for the versions of Samsung recovery that were specified in this thread.
    the 6.1.0.1 and the 6.0.12.18
    i have searched everywhere and no success.
    the latest version that i could get from Samsung is 6.12.10
    can someone help me?
    i have issues with the backup of windows 10 to init partition, got one big mess.

Thanks in advance
    Felix

5. biuro74

biuro74 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

1) Felix: 6.0.12.4 - can be found here, if you want to try:
    https://www.sammymobile.com/forum/topic/recovery-partition-rebuild-with-f4-key-enable/page/10/

2) I've got an issue - my Samsung NP3530EC-A0CDX (Series 3) won't go to recovery with F4. I think I've done everything like:
    * SRS6 (6.0.12.4) - both used directly on SSD which has been "mirrored" from original HDD, and clean SSD (diskpart -> clean -> convert gpt), whole process described in link above was almost fine, after all laptop reacts tapping F4 key only when BIOS -> Secure Boot & Fast Boot options are disable, but it.... turns off and 2 seconds later on,
    * SRS5 - seems to be designed for Windows 7, no UEFI boot however, so I rejected this path,
    * SRS7 - I'm able to CTRL ALT F10 and execute USB creation tool, but after that it seems like it can't format my USB pendrive (probably because it's still boot device, lol); another USB drive simply is not recognized, so this seems to be dead end as well.

From what I know - sometimes FlashROMs need to be reprogrammed with default ROMs (corrupted code), but I can't find any BIOS to be downloaded to this laptop, even with Samsung Update software. BTW, I've got flash chip programmer, so I'm able to flash ROM directly onboard. Loading defaults in BIOS simply won't help and laptop still turns off once F4 is pressed during bootup. Small question here - anyone with similar laptop here to be able to dump own BIOS and upload it as a binary file ?

Maybe it counts, but SRS6 process is not 100% clean due to file
    api-ms-win-crt-string-l1-1-0.dll
    missing (I've got that message as soon as laptop boots from USB).

Any clues what is happening here ?
    Recovery files are intact in place (I can mount recovery partition, so I can see all files). One more strange thing is - recovery partitions are named differently, it's like first one (bigger one) is REC_1, and second one (1 gig) is RECOVERY2 - I write from memory, so names can be a bit different, but I show you a concept how they are named (not fully automatically, like REC_1, REC_2 etc).
    Cheers.

P.S.
    Few hours later ;-)
    I've managed NVRAM reset without BIOS/Micom update, only because flashing was unsuccessful - silly, I've spend 2 pounds for paying via PayPal to some forum points that was necessary to download a file, which didn't work for me either, lol. After that Samsung started to respond properly to F4 tapping.
    If someone is interested, I've done command under Shell:
    sflash64 /cvar /patch
    (and Secure Boot must have been disabled in BIOS first).

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  6. dr.johnkennedy

dr.johnkennedy Newbie

Reputations:
    hi, srs 7 password? ctrl+alt+f10 = pass? thank you

7. dr.johnkennedy

dr.johnkennedy Newbie

Reputations:
    hello, srs 7 admin tools have you got where to find it?

8. Kaelixx

Kaelixx Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi. Thank you for this awesome thread.

I own a Samsung NP900X4C-A02SE that was bought back in 2013.
    It has served me well (except that I can't play much in terms of games on it). :)

However, in the last months, it has become slower and slower. I've had different tools to try and clean it up and a colleague suggested I just do a Windows 10 fresh install.
    I've backup the personal files and was ready to go when I decided to Google a bit and stumbled on this thread.

Now, if I've understood correctly, Samsung Recovery is a two part software.
    There is the software that enables the reset to a previous image or "factory reset" and there are 2 partitions on the disk with the actual data.
    I've understood (correctly I hope!) that the OP suggests to update the "factory reset" image to a clean install of Windows 10 + drivers so that further fresh installs will be easier to do and will go through the Samsung Recovery instead of the Windows functionality. Also to prevent a reset to Windows 8 and then having to pay for the upgrade to Windows 10.

We are now in August 2018, so my question is: is the original guide still valid (in terms of versions, etc.)?