Guide: replacing and upgrading laptop batteries

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by t456, Dec 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kosti

kosti Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If you are looking for good cells or chargers check out this site for comprehensive reviews:

http://lygte-info.dk/

Primes likes this.
  2. Red B

Red B Newbie

Reputations:

3. Red B

Red B Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    I have my HP Pavillion laptop battery - that I replaced less than a year ago - almost dead. I would like to change its cells to a better / higher longevity cells. My dead battery has 3x2 Samsung ICR18650-26H cells. What can I exchange these cells with ? I don't wanna use the same cells as I really would like to upgrade my battery. These Samsung cells came with the battery I bought over the internet to replace my original dead battery about a year ago, unfortunately I don't know what cells that original HP battery had since I don't have it anymore. The original battery used to last up to 4 hours...which I was never able to achieve with this bad replacement battery. any advice please on a new cells choice ? Thanks,

4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Ask @t456 he is an expert.

5. Red B

Red B Newbie

Reputations:
    Yep, which I just did on his post, hope he will reply soon :) Thanks,

6. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    This is what you have. The higher the mAh the longer they should last. That is provided the cells you buy are not fakes and they are the mAh as listed.

Brand: Samsung
    Model: ICR18650-26H
    Capacity: 2600mAh Rated
    Voltage: 3.63V Nominal
    Charging: 4.20V Maximum
    1300mA Standard
    --- mA Maximum
    Discharging: 2.75V Cutoff
    520mA Standard
    --- mA Maximum
    Description: Pink Cell Wrapper
    White Insulator Ring
    18650 Form Factor
    [​IMG]

7. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
  8. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Use the fantastic '18650 battery review comparator' to find good cells. The Panasonic NCR18650B is still a nice choice, adding +20% capacity at the default cut-off voltage (3.00V):

[​IMG]

But Samsung has a new 3500mAh cell, which even surpasses the Panasonic:

[​IMG]

The picture is actually a little different; the Panasonic claims a 4.35V charge voltage, whereas 4.2V is regular and what the laptop battery pack would normally charge with. Increased voltage will increase capacity for all batteries, so that would be apples and oranges. Longevity will be decreased by the higher voltage, so it's a trade-off.

If you want the increased capacity then you have to reprogram the firmware. You might also lower the cut-off voltage to 2.9V or 2.8V, but this risks a hard-to-charge battery when it has been drained completely and left passive for days or weeks before recharging. Not all chargers can handle that; in a laptop that would be a motherboard limitation rather than the adapter's.

tilleroftheearth and Shawn like this.
  9. Red B

Red B Newbie

Reputations:
    Very interesting, wasn't aware about all these details. Where can I find these batteries on the market ? Genuine batteries not the fake ones. Also, what about high drain and regular batteries, I read that high drain, even when they have a lesser mAh they still last longer than the regular batteries.

10. Red B

Red B Newbie

Reputations:
    Also, how do we re program the firmware to increase the capacity of the battery ? I quite did not get this point ! I do understand that decreasing the cut off the voltage will let you run longer on the battery, but still did not get what you mean by reprogramming the firmware !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.