[Guide] Overclocking the 2920XM/2960XM CPUs in the M17x R3 with/without Modded bios.

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by widezu69, Oct 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macpod

Macpod Connoisseur

Reputations:
    Hi guys. Some question regarding non xm chip.

Issue 1: I have a 2720QM. After doing step 1 XTU shows short duration limit of 72w and long duration of 48w. I can change the long duration to 72w but it wont stick after i restart. but if i increase it in xtu after each restart it will stick until i restart. I know this because the CPU runs at a constant 50-55 w during long renderings. Is there a way to make this stick without having to re-input after every startup?

issue 2: Even with 72w settings and temperature hovering around low 80s. the CPU still throttles down to 28x after about 15 seconds and stays there. Although its still pulling 51w according to HWinfo. Am i doing something wrong? how do i make the chip stay at the 30x turbo setting? 83c is not that hot right?

thanks a lot

2. brave758

brave758 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    hey did we get section 3???

3. T2050

T2050 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My apologies to anyone that is a hater of a thread resurrection, but this one has lived again in the past.

I have only just got around to doing this now, which has worked out fine with all four cores sticking flat out on 2.9GHz with my i7-2820QM. I know it's not a XM but can tap into extra turbo speeds of up to 500MHz

Problem is that once I start prime95 all core after about 3 minutes are on ~97c and then about a minute later the machine shuts off as it must of hit 100c.

How you people that are going even faster than this manage the heat, therefore to run continously?

4. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    You might want to repaste with new thermal paste like Arctic Cooling MX-4..

jaug1337 likes this.
  5. T2050

T2050 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I repasted about 3 years ago, don't remember what I used. From memory it looked like the heatsink (maybe the processor or socket?) never sitting completely flat, as if there was a very slight rise on one of the sides where contact of the heatsink meets the CPU, could be why temps get so outta control is there anyway around this with out trying to bend anything?

Is it normal for the temp to hit 100c under prime 95, really this is the only app that will push it this high (I haven't tested with video editors but I don't use those a lot if at all), so any prime 95 app are going to max at 100c?

I have some MX2 paste (stuff the does not wear out for 8 years) on hand which might be suitable?

6. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Yeah use that.. You might also want to seat the heatsink properly as this is probably the main reason for all the overheating.. It might be possible that all the heating over the years might have deformed the heatsink so it might need to be replaced.

7. T2050

T2050 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Found that contact looked pretty good once removing the heat sink, might of been a misconception or I did the repasted twice at the time with the second being successful. The old paste job looks like the paste had firmed a little bit. Repasted it and seems to have dropped 5-8c, but cant be fully sure as I reinstalled fresh OS thus I haven't installed and run prime on it, just trottlestop bench mark that load all cores to max.

Bottom line is, once I enabled TDP to turbo before at up to 57W this would likely be to much for the R3 heat sink and fan to handle, I feel that it was never made to cope with that kind of heat.
    I installed XTU 2.1 under windows 8.1 and the application runs, but I don't think the TDP change is working yet once set, as there are weird looking numbers under throttlestop, and would level out to 45W after a short time, although was holding a good 2.9GHz accord all 4 core for an extended time with get to hot after repaste.

Will look into it bit further with XTU 2.1 and Windows 8.1, it might be able to do 3.1GHz on all 4 cores, but for an extra 10-12W and critical temps I am not sure it is worth it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.