Guide: Killer Software / Extension Un-installation and Blocking

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Hmmm. I might have to check qualcomm WLAN/BT cards. Not gonna waste time with Intel/Killer cards.

Spartan@HIDevolution and Papusan like this.
  2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    This is an opportunity for Broadcom and Realtek to step up their games and provide alternative solutions that don't completely suck.

Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  3. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Or even Qualcomm OEM WLAN/BT cards. I always had better luck with Qcomm which can catch better signal even in the corner than Intel, Realtek or Broadcom.
    In LoS, Broadcom, Realtek and Intel(non-Killer) performs staggering quicker than Qcomm.

4. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Broadcom isn’t as good these days vs the competition, and they’re kinda bad at implementing extras like MU-MIMO, OFDMA etc, they usually have a bigger lag period than Intel or Qualcomm getting the extra features right or at least in a functional enough manner that doesn’t ironically hurt performance by enabling them... Not to mention worse drivers as well, same goes for Realtek.

The Killer purchase isn’t going to magically create an opportunities for BCM or Realtek, satornoku, because Killer never made any hardware or drivers in the first place. They’re just a glorified QoS software company essentially. A lot of the purchase I can assume was about the branding which to the layman seems impressive but those with more networking/tech experience seem to actually detest Killer. From Anandtech to other in depth tech review sites most of the comments section was filled with people deriding Killer with some even hoping Intel would eventually shutter the brand, when I last saw.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    downloads and Vasudev like this.
  5. Vasudev

Reputations:
    I hope Intel don't integrate WLAN/BT into PCH itself for their 14nm++++ and 10/7nm products and integrate Killer across hardware level for all network stacks. It'll be bad news for AMD based gaming laptops.

Ashtrix likes this.
  6. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
  7. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Vasudev and Jdpurvis like this.
  8. Jdpurvis

Jdpurvis Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yikes! My laptop's Killer 1650 (Intel 200) has been very happy since I removed all of the KIller software and installed Intel drivers.

Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  9. Vasudev

Reputations:

Intel basically said to Killer SW haters F*** you! We renamed it to Intel "Killer" Suite. I Hope this won't ruin Intel in long term and in turn make events where WLAN chip will be soldered or super-glued by OEM to prevent upgrades since Killer is gone and Intel will be the one left. I think AMD is making BGA WLAN from MediaTek chips.
    I really thought we might get better FW updates for Killer 1535 on Linux after Intel took over. I don't want Killer extensions running on Linux anyway!

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2021
    Papusan likes this.
  10. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Intel has more engineering resources than Killer could ever dream of, so perhaps there is hope that the re-branded software will end being a non-entity at worst and perhaps somewhat decent at best.

alexhawker and Papusan like this.