Guide: Killer Software / Extension Un-installation and Blocking

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You can use either, in fact why not just go to the Intel website for drivers. I mean the 1550 is just a 9260ac and the same drivers are provided by Killer anyway, that's what I do for my sister's laptop.

Only time I would use the Killer site for drivers is when sometimes Intel's beta drivers are there, because, Intel generally does not post beta drivers on their own site.

Also sometimes you may see even newer Intel drivers posted on sites from Windows 10 test versions like 20H1, just note that just because they have a higher version number does not mean they are better, often it's probably just to test workability with the newer version of Windows and may not have ay real changes, and that's been my experience.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  2. Rentonn13

Rentonn13 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for this post. I just did the first part, uninstalling the killer software on my laptop. My download speeds jumped from a throttled 1.6 mbps to almost 15 mbps. Thank you!

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Vasudev and Aivxtla like this.
  4. Aivxtla

Reputations:
    Honestly would have been better if the branding just perished....

Well that was surprising, first they got bought by Qualcomm and now Intel, hopefully Intel can at least make it less trashy.

I assume they bought it mostly for branding, but maybe they can get rid off the junk software and differentiate with regular branded cards using actual hardware/driver tweaks oriented for low latency.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    Vasudev, downloads and Papusan like this.
  5. Papusan

Reputations:
    Sure:D

"Intel will continue to sell Rivet Networks’ software technologies and the Killer line of products to customers," an Intel spokesperson told Tom's Hardware. "Intel plans to continue the vast majority of Rivet Networks’ existing products and services. Some minor changes may be made after full evaluation in alignment with Rivet Networks’ customer commitments."
    https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/intel-acquires-rivet-networks-killer

Vasudev and Aivxtla like this.
  6. Aivxtla

Reputations:
    Ok maybe don't point that out lol let me be happy, I didn't read fully I felt better being ignorant. I'm gonna pretend I didn't read the last part about "continuing".

At the same time I feel its just normal to say that since they just acquired them and don't wanna hurt sales and they may actually start gutting and revamping the brand slowly or get vomited out eventually like the last time... at least I'm gonna pretend that's what will happen.:D

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I think its a plan to cripple future AMD BGA 5000U/H which would have featured Killer based WLAN and 2.5Gbps ethernet. After this acquisition OEMs plan to include AMD CPU/GPU might get stalled since most of them will go for Killer Branded products rather than stock Intel WLANs.
    Yesterday, I saw BT drivers for 1535 and older are absent from killer website and even including WLAN/Ethernet drivers. It seems aside from Intel branded Killers every other cards are EOL.

Aivxtla and Papusan like this.
  8. Papusan

Reputations:
    Would be nice get an explanation from @Killer_Networking about this. Nice first move. This will be equal Intel’s screw up for a bit older iGPU’s. No new drivers and we have Win 10 as services.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    Vasudev likes this.
  9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    So I'd need to rely on Dell or station-drivers or ath-drivers.eu unofficial drivers.

10. Papusan

Reputations:
    If Intel do the same as they did for older graphics card, you haven't many other choices/or buy the newer card. I don't like the direction.

Ashtrix, Mr. Fox and Vasudev like this.