Guide: Killer Software / Extension Un-installation and Blocking

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by Spartan, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You make a valid point, I should have expanded on my comment rather than simply saying "bloat". My reasoning is as follows:

They hyped their so called "intelligent" prioritization engine, which already caused Dell forums to be swamped with connectivity complaints......Un-necessary overtweaking and complications can make things worse. I have played around with settings to "optimize" but its still pretty terrible in my experience at least. Also the average user either doesn't know enough to tweak this stuff or just wants something to work out of the box. If something isn't broke don't fix it, for most people I've dealt with they had issues after buying laptops with this not before in terms of connectivity. 3 of my family laptops had DPC latency issues because of it set aside connectivity/throughput issues. It's stuff like this coming installed on machines by default that gives PCs/Windows a bad a rep. It's also even worse that you need to have a blocking driver just to prevent auto installation of the stuff.

I've seen their marketing video which shows very uncommon situations, as a reason for their Killer Engine to be used. Like a download, a video, a game and some other stuff all running in parallel. If it was that good we would be using it in enterprise, but instead it's just a very gimmicky narrow use case app that so for has shown me that it has a potential to do more harm for many, than good. Just my personal opinion of course.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    downloads likes this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    @Killer_Networking added in case they want to respond...

Yup, I agree, their heart is in the right place, but more experienced network engineers or applications developers / driver developers / UI developers are really needed to make something like this blossom into the cool features and tools they might someday become.

And to be fair, for the most part such services and features developed "on the cheap" are "bloatware" because they are poorly implemented, tested, and have fewer resources than necessary for a truly useful implementation to be realized.

Killer seems to be putting more thought and resources into the problem even though they keep missing the point often enough to be annoying - most users don't care enough to learn what they need to learn and the rest of us already have what we need and find such implementations lacking enough to disable them.

I would be disappointed to discourage any development that shows long term effort that might pay off someday if they keep at it. :)

Aivxtla likes this.
  3. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Check this, I was tweaking someone's computer 2 days ago. He just bought a brand new Alienware Area-51M and he specifically configured it with the Intel WLAN card so he won't have to deal with the Killer Software that he read on many forums.

When I logged in to his laptop, the first thing he said, before I even start the tweaking session, he was like man my internet speed is down down from 300MBPS to around 125MBPS I am going nuts what to do, I reboot my router, updated the firmware, reset it back to default but the speed is very low.

I'm like, give me a moment, I went into services.msc, disabled the Killer Networking Service and Killer Bandwidth Control Service and ran a speed test. BOOM, FULL SPEED!

He was shocked! He was like but I don't have Killer I ordered an Intel WLAN card! I said yes buddy, but you have a Killer LAN E3000 built in the laptop so Windows update will still download and install the Killer App via the Windows Store and add those services too!! (like a virus!)

Just to show you guys how this is affecting users worldwide on a very wide status and your average Joe has no clue what Killer is or what's going on here. They would probably just return the laptop and say it's not working right.

if someone orders and Intel WLAN card instead of Killer to avoid the Killer BS, it doesn't guarantee it since the LAN card might be Killer and that cannot be changed so he'd have to get an entirely different model

@WhatsThePoint @hmscott @Papusan @downloads

4. Dennismungai

Dennismungai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    And failing windows activations.

Papusan and Spartan like this.
  5. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    So true, I remember how the Alienware Forums were flooded with threats about not being to activate their new machines, the moment they disabled the Killer Services, everything worked fine. Killer Networking Services = Worse than a virus as its camouflaged.

Papusan likes this.
  6. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations: