Guide: Killer Software / Extension Un-installation and Blocking

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by Spartan, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is a little bit exaggerated ;-) I have Killer Wireless 1550 card which came with Dell. At first I though I would have issues but I actually do not have any. The only thing I removed was Control Center. There are some services still running in background but they have 0 interference on any games I have played and my internet speed is just as good as with laptop with Intel 9260 card:
    https://www.speedtest.net/result/8644849423

Only minor annoyance is that I had to download drivers from Rivet's site and not from Intel. So yea, I personally see no need to disable any Windows updates for this card (Windows does not install anything else after I uninstalled Control Center and installed latest drivers from Rivet's site). Of course we are talking about Intel-based card so older cards might be different.

2. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I mean if you removed Control Center it’s now literally just a standard 9260ac now. So basically you agree with us :). That Control Center and associated services are literally the only difference between a stock 9260ac and 1550, they don’t touch the drivers, those are just stock Intel drivers anyway with the Killer identifier/ID added in drivers which Killer installer checks for before allowing you to install the Control Center. All the rage is focused on the Killer software and the fact that it auto installs unless you use the blocking driver which at times fails to actually “block”, not the actual Intel card itself.

Also you definitely can use drivers from Intel’s site as they are pretty much the same and you can therefore also use drivers on Killer site on the non Killer branded version of the 9260ac. Sometimes Intel provides Killer with newer drivers (probably using Killer customers as free beta testers) before deploying to their own site for the 9260ac.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    Papusan likes this.
  3. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I removed Control Center using Windows "Remove Programs" feature but I did not remove anything else and did not disable Windows updates for anything ;-) There are still a couple of services running in background, they just don't affect the speed or ping times.

4. Bloodroses

Bloodroses Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thank you so much!!!!!!! Was able to block windows update from the infernal killer software. Had to upgrade to pro via an old windows 8 pro license key but it was worth it. No need to clean install thankfully.

Papusan and Spartan like this.
  5. Bloodroses

Bloodroses Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I finally thought it was over but it isn't. I might have to start with an entirely clean install of windows. I tried, again from the very beginning and there's no windows update software installed but there's alienware updates installed through their command center. I don't get the apps back but probably something else from killer that is doing this. Everytime I attempted this I'll get the update notice from the alienware command center. It's a very small update and it doesn't say what it is. This leads to the familiar problems that I thought I was getting around by buying the Intel card. At least I have that killer network page still in my phone every few days I loose connection to the network and internet. I haven't bothered with their tech support since they always want to install the killer apps and adjust some settings. Oddly enough my brother's m17 that has all the killer garbage is perfectly fine and he doesn't have any issues.

To those who are saying this is no big deal how would you feel if every few days for no reason your network connection went down and you had to do the following just to temporarily get it back:

a: command prompt, run as admin
    b: netsh winsock reset
    c: netsh inti ip reset
    d. ipconfig/release
    e. ipconfig/renew
    f: ipconfig/flushdns
    g: restart your computer
    h: test to see if issue is resolved (if it is it's just for a few days)
    i: enjoy your computer that randomly looses connections

6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    @Killer_Networking , not sure if you still are checking here, but if so could you please help @Bloodroses with his current issues? Thank you for all of your help in the past and now as well :)

Papusan and Spartan like this.
  7. WhatsThePoint

WhatsThePoint Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  8. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    More bloat....

Papusan likes this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    The best thing that update does is alert users to old technology so they can pinpoint the bottlenecks to their slow throughput.

IDK how useful picking between a group of access points will be for most people, but in corporate settings it might avoid that annoying pairing with distant access points vs local ones that respond slower due to it being busy at that exact moment your device is looking for a connection.

I already use tools to view all that stuff in a corporate setting, and in busy residential zones, but I don't promote accessing lots of public wifi as it's not "safe" so I couldn't suggest using that new Killer software to pick the best public access point.

Problem is most people are stumped by the simplest requirements to set up software for networking before using it. Killer's a good example.

All you had to do was to set the expected DL/UL speeds to get good Killer performance - or run the automated measurements to get good numbers once - but most people don't know about that and left it blank.

Killer's software didn't treat that situation smartly early on and Killer garnered a reputation for needing to have their software uninstalled. I wouldn't be surprised if that starts happening again with this AI software if it initially causes more problems than it solves.

Killer software always worked fine for me because I read the instructions for tuning it up before using it.

@Killer_Networking added in case they want to respond...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  10. hmscott

Reputations:
    Software that makes things better isn't bloat, and bloat is a overly used term for too many problems anyway.

The original term was used to indicate add-on applications installed by vendors to increase revenue - due to very small margins on competitive market tiers - not for driver software and application software added features.

Just saying "bloat" without explanation encourages people to do the same in the rest of their lives - insults and name calling vs working their problems out with reasoned discourse.

I hope we can be better than that, with a little more effort.