Guide: Killer Software / Extension Un-installation and Blocking

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by Ultra Male, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Forgot about that...... hopefully this guide will sort me out. Thanks again :)

Ultra Male likes this.
  2. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is a little bit exaggerated ;-) I have Killer Wireless 1550 card which came with Dell. At first I though I would have issues but I actually do not have any. The only thing I removed was Control Center. There are some services still running in background but they have 0 interference on any games I have played and my internet speed is just as good as with laptop with Intel 9260 card:
    https://www.speedtest.net/result/8644849423

Only minor annoyance is that I had to download drivers from Rivet's site and not from Intel. So yea, I personally see no need to disable any Windows updates for this card (Windows does not install anything else after I uninstalled Control Center and installed latest drivers from Rivet's site). Of course we are talking about Intel-based card so older cards might be different.

3. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I mean if you removed Control Center it’s now literally just a standard 9260ac now. So basically you agree with us :). That Control Center and associated services are literally the only difference between a stock 9260ac and 1550, they don’t touch the drivers, those are just stock Intel drivers anyway with the Killer identifier/ID added in drivers which Killer installer checks for before allowing you to install the Control Center. All the rage is focused on the Killer software and the fact that it auto installs unless you use the blocking driver which at times fails to actually “block”, not the actual Intel card itself.

Also you definitely can use drivers from Intel’s site as they are pretty much the same and you can therefore also use drivers on Killer site on the non Killer branded version of the 9260ac. Sometimes Intel provides Killer with newer drivers (probably using Killer customers as free beta testers) before deploying to their own site for the 9260ac.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    Papusan likes this.
  4. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I removed Control Center using Windows "Remove Programs" feature but I did not remove anything else and did not disable Windows updates for anything ;-) There are still a couple of services running in background, they just don't affect the speed or ping times.