[Guide] Installing Windows 7 on an NVME SSD (from a USB 3.0 thumbdrive)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by bfishman, Nov 12, 2015.

1. plazma247

plazma247 Newbie

Reputations:
    Late to the show, but i just wanted to throw a couple of additional things in.

Firstly if you try this with a sandisk usb stick, because sandisk drives are marked as fixed disks and not removable like most usb sticks, the windows usb creation tool wont work, instead use rufus from: https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Next after injecting the boot.win file i tried to inject into install.wim and got back an error (The driver package could not be installed), the issue was the files had been blocked, if you have the same you can follow the guide here: http://blog.nicholasrogoff.com/2010/09/01/how-to-bulk-unblock-files-in-windows-7-or-server-2008/

The stream (or in my case stream64) worked a treat and i was then able to inject install.win as well.

2. cyon02

cyon02 Newbie

Reputations:
    What a champion you are for making this guide. Thank You!

Don't you mean: dism /mount-wim /wimfile:install.wim /index:2

I too am running into error when reaching the Update the “boot.wim” and “install.wim” Files section. Is that because i downloaded the usb 3 drivers direct from intel's site for my Dell XPS 9560?
    BTW i had to extract the INF file from the .exe learn how to do this here.

===DISM Log File======
    note error:
    2018-01-27 18:30:24, Error DISM DISM.EXE: No providers were found that support the command(mount-wim/wimfile). HRESULT=0

If anyone knows what this means i'd really appreciate some help. thanks!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  3. cyon02

cyon02 Newbie

Reputations:
    The hours wait is something i've ran into many a time with Win7. Better off just leaving it on overnight. In my experience Windows update only does this once, then its smooth sailing.

4. epguy3

epguy3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    be sure to integrate (slipstream) the KB2990941 & KB3087873 hotfixes for Windows 7 SP1.
    I'm pretty sure KB2990941 adds native NVMe support to Win7 SP1.

5. Mugsy323

Mugsy323 Newbie

Reputations:
    I don't wish to reinstall Windows from scratch. I already have "Windows 7" (with working nvme driver) installed to my C: drive and backed up.

I wish to restore the backup to my nvme (970 Evo on an x4 card) and then boot from it, either using a bootable USB thumbdrive with the necessary boot files, or from my Linux/Grub boot menu (I have a dual boot PC with Linux on another drive. When Windows is not found, the boot drive with Linux on it automatically loads the "Grub" boot menu. It lists Windows but can't boot it.)

Is this possible? TIA

6. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    Many backup softwares for windows create recovery media for a USB stick so you can restore a backup.

7. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    Windows 7 has basic backup & restore features built in (Control Panel/Backup and Restore), but you can do more with third party programs like Macrium, Acronis, etc.

8. Mugsy323

Mugsy323 Newbie

Reputations:
    My ISO copy of Win7 does not have an "install.wim" file. It does have a 3GB "install.esd" file. Should I use that instead? :confused: