[GUIDE] Installing and Overclocking the AMD Mobility 7970 in the M17x R3,an illustrated guide

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by SlickDude80, Apr 24, 2012.

1. djdblaster

djdblaster Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've got a brand new 7970M if you're interested. Tried installing in M17X R3, cannot get it recognized. However, M17X R5 works great.

2. Varlgarv

Varlgarv Newbie

Reputations:
    cannot get it recognized on R3? Ouch, that sounds bad bro. im scared of buy right now.

3. Retro_Wol

Retro_Wol Newbie

Reputations:
    It is OK to update, dont be scared...

I bought a 7970m and replaced my dead 6990m for my 17x r3 and its working great.

Follow the OP guide for details, but this is what I did last week, I did it a bit backwards from OP but can confirm I have a fully running 7970m in my alienware m17x r3.

This is what I did:
    1) Removed 6990m using OP guide.
    2) Insert with 7970m using OP guide.
    3) Downloaded and installed the most recent AMD drivers, no luck DID NOT WORK, poor resolution and a warning advising cannot find any AMD product (even though its showing in device manager) this is why I was asking for the modded drivers a few posts up.
    4) Anyway the links for the modded drivers on this thread are gone, the domain has been shut and after a lot of searching to no avail, I accepted they cannot be found So I moved on and see what I could do.
    5) Back to square one, I unlocked my bios, used the link in the OP to download, the link does work and installed A08 bios correctly :)
    6) I followed the guide exactly at this point, changed Primary Display to PEG and disabled Internal Graphics Device.
    7) Once that was done I went back to my desktop, still a really poor resolution, but this time when I installed the AMD latest drivers from last time and THEY WORKED!!! desktop changed to 1920x1080 and the system was fully recognising the card. (note: these were not modded drivers just most recent drivers for the 7970m from the AMD website).

ONE PROBLEM WITH THIS METHOD, DESKTOP DIMS ON BOOT UP:
    When you go to your desktop the screen will dim slightly, I believe the modded drivers with the dead links here sorted this problem out, (only guessing here cause of dead links). Well I found this work around:http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/7970m-dim-screen-fix-on-r3-sort-of.678968/ IT WORKS, however it is a minor annoyance having to boot up HWiNFO64 when you log on, but its done in a few seconds and having a fully working 7970m sure beats this minor inconvenience.

So to recap dont be concerned on buying a 7970m for your r3 it works, just remember to unlock bio, points 5 & 6 are extremely important, in order for the latest drivers to work.

Cheers and good luck
    Wol

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    Varlgarv likes this.
  4. Varlgarv

Varlgarv Newbie

Reputations:
  5. Retro_Wol

Retro_Wol Newbie

Reputations:
    Varl,
    Seems OK I bought my brand new with X-Brackets for £250, current conversion says thats around $389 (so take that as you will), but like I said it was brand new and also the seller was based in the my home country (UK).

THE X BRACKET:
    The X bracket does work from the 6990m, however you may have to google on how to remove it, as the bracket on my 6990m was really stuck on to the card, not sure how to remove it without some serious force, but google / forums should help you, luckily as my card was new it came with a brand new separate bracket, so I didn't research too much how to remove the bracket from the old card.

THERMAL PASTE:
    You will need to buy some. The paste on the 6990m is not transferable, it was caked on and around the chip. You will definitely have to buy some new thermal paste.

THERMAL PADS:
    The thermal pads from my 6990m were transferable you had to be REALLY delicate with them and patience is a must to remove it in tact as it can rip easily. Once removed I followed the guide here on where to put on the 7970m (note: they are in the same place as the 6990m).

So all in all, you will just need to purchase some thermal paste, however I hear transferring the x-bracket is possible but its a fairly difficult process. I would probably recommend getting a card with a bracket (or purchase a the bracket separately , however like I said I never removed mine so never researched too much in to it, so it actually might be quite simple task, but looking how stuck that bracket was to my 6990m I cannot see how it could be...

Wol

Varlgarv likes this.
  6. Varlgarv

Varlgarv Newbie

Reputations:
    Indeed the X BRACKET seems like a pain in the ass, so researching one with it... I'm probably getting this one instead,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-7970-HD...2-CN-09XVK3-/321816093242?hash=item4aedbbe23a

Just to be sure but, every model of 7970M are almost the same and are compatible with M17 R3, isn't? In this one they didn't say anything about R3 so i want to be sure.

And for the lolz: You test Baking your 6990M before replace it? can work? worth the time? i mean, there's nothing to lose.

Thanks, Varl.

7. Retro_Wol

Retro_Wol Newbie

Reputations:
  8. Varlgarv

Varlgarv Newbie

Reputations:
    Finally got the 266$ one, shipping from China. Now that it's on travel, customs calls me for extra charges (like 100€).

Well, they got me. Good to know, never purchase from Outside EU again.

Hope at least, the GPU works.

9. Varlgarv

Varlgarv Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

Bad news for me :(, just upgrade to 7970m.

I did everything exactly as in this guide.

I ran the laptop, the screen was black and I get 6 beeps. I had to do reset bios and screen startup, now in Bios says "Discrete graphics 1: [Not Detecetd]".

Suggestions?

Varl.

10. ex.treme

ex.treme Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I can say you one thing. Never buy from China's seller. China Seller on ebay.com sell me "new unused unopened card" and i've got opened, used, scratched, damage and non working gpu card. - 8 beeps!
    And now i'm in get back gpu with extra pay for shipping and problems! China sellers' sux.

But back to topic:
    Work Clevo 7970M 2GB without problems in M17x R3?