]]>

[GUIDE] Installing and Overclocking the AMD Mobility 7970 in the M17x R3,an illustrated guide

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by SlickDude80, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Mkkillah

Mkkillah Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I guess enduro doesnt work for people with M17x R3, however I have found a way (by myself) to make SG working! sort of:

1: uninstall in control manager and in device manager intel and amd drivers and REBOOT
    2: make sure you have SG in BIOS
    3: install Intel drivers and REBOOT
    4: install AMD drivers and REBOOT
    5: when you start in windows it might crash or it might give a black screen. If it does NOT continue from step 8
    6: CRASH--> just try again or switch to PEG for one startup before switching back to SG in BIOS
    7: Black screen --> press windows key and cursor to the right to shutdown the laptop (DO NOT use the power button to force shutdown)
    8: go to catalyst control center and switch to Igpu in power options (make sure you have programs closed. Logitech driver will inhibit switching for instance)
    9: once switched you can use Igpu YAY!

Now for switching back there is a problem since it will crash every boot after switching back since it will crash/give black screen while switching also. I have found the fix:

1: switch back to High performance card --> crash and every boot thereafter it will too (for me)
    2: change bios settings to PEG if it crashes (use step 5-6-7 if it doesnt work after switching to PEG in BIOS)
    3: once back into windows restart again and switch back to SG in BIOS
    4: You are once again set to switch to Igpu when needed but running High performance for now

Ofcourse I think the chances are high this will not work for most of you guys but I thought I would share it anyway.

2. gorgonzola

gorgonzola Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Has anyone go variable brightness working with this card on the R3? I've just bought this card off ebay but probably will cancel if I can't adjust the brightness :(

3. Lehendario

Lehendario Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Great guide Slick, thanks a lot for such a good job!

I just upgraded my M17X R3 from a 6970m to a 7970m and I'm experiencing problems to put it working, I will appreciate if anybody can give me an idea about how to fix it.

The problem is that it works as far as the AMD driver is not installed, but as soon as I install it and reboot, then I get white stripped screen just after loading windows desktop and stuck laptop so I have to keep power button to shut down.

Used AMD cleanup utility before installing the driver.

7970m purchased to Upgrademonkey.
    I tried A12 unlocked BIOS and currently using A08 unlocked.
    Using 12.7 modded driver.
    Tried either enabled and disabled IGP procedures.
    Tried .17 and .21 vBios, currently .17
    Windows 7

Thanks in advance guys.

UPDATE: Installed vBios .17 and stock AMD 13.8 beta 2 and it boots up and loads windows perfectly. Stays stable until I run any game, then I get artifacts for a while and a few seconds later white screen with vertical lines and crash.

4. Lehendario

Lehendario Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I used a hair dryer and worked fine.

5. dmaster9494

dmaster9494 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Would the install be the same for upgrading to a AMD HD8970M 4GB from a 6900M?

6. exodia8080

exodia8080 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    sorry for resurrecting this necro thread, but I wanna ask.. just today I'd like to overclock the 7970m on my m17x r3 since I am not satisfied with its current performance on Watch Dogs and Crysis 3, but when I was about to download afterburner, it's version is already 3.0.1.. I wanna ask first if this version supports the 7970m dell oem.. and about the overclocking itself, how much should I increase to be rock stable or to get better performance on the games I mentioned above? I know it is a per die basis but I kinda want to get the idea as to what frequency range will I be playing around?

Thanks!!

7. Lars5666

Lars5666 Newbie

Reputations:
    Recently got my amd 7970m for my m17x R3 to replace my GTX 560m (and also an GTX 580m that got defected on its first day), and it is working all fine with the first driver download that was enlisted to the OP.

My question is, is there any newer drivers that work together with this card?

8. kazama

kazama Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Same here, i installed a 7970m, i cant get a working actual drivers, CCC dont appear it says nothing to display.

Some help will be apreciated.

9. Retro_Wol

Retro_Wol Newbie

Reputations:
    benchmark3d links are all dead, so I am now struggling finding these drivers. Would anyone happen to have them still?

10. Varlgarv

Varlgarv Newbie

Reputations:
    My 6990M just died in my Alienware M17 R3, and i was looking for some help. This upgrade guide is awesome i have to admite.

I found via Ebay the 7970M, what do you think guys?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2GB-256Bit-...-M18X-R2-R3-/271899263591?hash=item3f4e758267

US $289.00 and NEW? This card will work properly or there is something wrong with the MXM port?.

I also found this ones, with superior prices and used:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-ALIENW...253?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item463c007f3d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DELL-AL...543?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item463c226fdf

what is the trick?

Thanks you in advice guys,