[GUIDE] Installing and Overclocking the AMD Mobility 7970 in the M17x R3,an illustrated guide

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by SlickDude80, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeyFUZZ911

JoeyFUZZ911 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ive installed both the modded drivers after a clean uninstall of old drivers and they run for a couple mins and then i get a black screen?
    Would u suggest anything else??

Im gonna do a clean install and try the 12.6 drivers.

I hope my gpu is defective. Is there a way to tell??

2. GaresTaylan

GaresTaylan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Will this work on Sager/Clevo models? I followed the steps but it didnt unlock the sliders. Im just using the stock drivers from Clevo.

3. JoeyFUZZ911

Reputations:
    Well I'm guessing my 7970m I just got in the mail 2 days ago is defective. No driver works for it. When I start a game or benchmark the screen goes blank. I did slickdudes guide and even enabled the intel card back. Nothing works.

Would anyone like to add any other solutions I should try, cuz I'm assuming its defective and going to send it back??

4. rsgeiger

rsgeiger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The last thing I could suggest is find someone to download a custom vbios for your version of the 7970m that has a mild overclock. If that cannot get your clocks locked higher, as least during games, then I guess you will have to declare it defective.

The black screen could also be that the voltage being applied to your card is not strong enough. I hear 1.075 volts was a sweet spot for some people also having black screens during gaming. You might also have this issue. Here is a link to some dell brand bioses (and here are flashing instructions). Sorry to the original poster of the link for not giving credit, but I forgot who you were. :(

5. JoeyFUZZ911

Reputations:
    I'm assuming its dead! It wont even launch under PEG vid config in bios. Gives me 6 beeps on start up. I turn on the intel gpu and loads up and the 7970m isnt even recognized under device manager. What a waste of time.....

6. GeoCake

GeoCake http://ted.ph

Reputations:
    That's EXACTLY what happened to mine... 6 beeps, then I somehow managed to get it to work but as soon as a game is launched and clocks go to 850/1200 it black screens. Then I kept getting 6 beeps till I just I gave up. :/

You should not need an overvolted vbios, and as long as the card is 101% stable at 850, the card is (technically) not defective.

Also is there a difference between brightness on the 12.7 beta from AMD and the 12.7 beta 7900 mod from benchmark3d?
    I vaguely remember that on the first mod drivers I was stuck on 100% brightness, but seems to be 75% now.. Hmmm.

7. JoeyFUZZ911

Reputations:
    geo so mine is dead, correct?

I got a dim screen regardless on the driver. If the 7970m recognized it then it would dim. then when i would go to launch a game it would go to a black screen and have to do a force reset.

8. SlickDude80

SlickDude80 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    yes this will work...all people overvclocking 7970's regardless if it's in clevo's/sagers, MSI or Alienware on this forum are using this method. read my comments to jonnycat below

Sorry to hear that your card is defective. I assume you contacted eurocom and you are getting another?

welcome johnnycat! You are using the 12.7 mod beta's? They should overclock. I'm on the 12.7's and everythign works fine.

Where there usually is a problem is clerical issues...meaning, the msiAfterburner.cfg file wasn't editted properly or it was saved as a .TXT file instead of a .CFG

Double check everything in your msiAfterburner directory...make sure there are no duplicate files and the file saved as a .cfg and NOT .txt. Double check that you editted the file and registry correctly

Also, some have said that MSI Afterburner 2.2.2 doesn't let them overclock at all...so go back to 2.2.0 or 2.2.1

Aside from the constant throttling, why was it a mistake going to the Nvidia 580? I'm just curious

The one thing about the 680m is the price is out of control outrageous......but I can say this, the 7970m is a beastly card. i don't think anyone really NEEDS to go 680m. I haven't cancelled my order yet, but from the looks of things, it will be late august until i can get a card. I refuse to pay those ridiculous retail prices

PS...go with the 12.7 beta mod drivers...they are the best so far with respect to brightness issues

9. ashley-aitch

ashley-aitch Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    A new bios wont help you with the dim issue, but will gain you a nice "free" performance boost with added stability.

10. GeoCake

GeoCake http://ted.ph

Reputations:
    The dim issue is definitely caused by the driver... I was messing with overclocks and I got an 'AMD Display Driver has stopped working' message and my screen went max brightness, then the driver reinitialized and brightness went down again. My new card seems to overclock just as well as my previous one on stock voltage, 970 core on Max Payne 3, but I have lowered it to 950 because the card maxes the game just fine. So smooth and the temps are in the 61-63C range... this stock Dell paste is amazing :O

I also tried 12.5 -> 12.7 and screen brightness is locked at the same value for me on all of them, so I am sticking with 12.7 beta mod because they seem to be the best for gaming, as mentioned throughout this thread.

Erm as for the 580M, it never throttled for me, but it was not faster than the 6990M (despite all the benchmarks) and consequently not worth paying for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.