[GUIDE] Installing and Overclocking the AMD Mobility 7970 in the M17x R3,an illustrated guide

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by SlickDude80, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeyFUZZ911

JoeyFUZZ911 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    hey slickdude and ayone else who can help me. I installed my 7970m but it running not so good. Its performing less than what my 6990m did. I changed the vid config in the bios and the 7970m driver installed and its running like crap. Help please!

2. airacutie

airacutie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    wow that sounds bad, hopefully just some configuration. is the card recognized by software like GPUZ as 7970? can you post a screen? what experience index and 3dmark results have you achieved? also, what mobo bios settings do you use and what bios version do you have? a8, a10? and what version of card is that?

3. JoeyFUZZ911

Reputations:
    I ran Heaven 3.0 and ran the same settings i used for the 6990m and and was getting 10fps less. Tried Batman Arkyam City and was 10fps less. running on A08 unlocked version. Subvender is dell for card. I'm using the 8.934 driver version from the cd Eurocom gave me. I waited 3 months for this....

4. airacutie

airacutie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would recommend to try different drivers. Then try that GPUZ please and post screen here.

5. rsgeiger

rsgeiger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Update the driver and see if you can get msi afterburner working. See if you can perform a mild overclock. In some cases the m7970 seems to keep the low clocks, and over clocking breaks the lock. Just a guess from what I have read from other members.

6. JoeyFUZZ911

Reputations:
    [​IMG][/IMG]

oh yea and now my screen is dim too.

So a dim screen and bad performance.......

7. JoeyFUZZ911

Reputations:
    i did everything in slickdudes install guide and im getting poor performance. As soon as i launch Heaven 3.0 it starts at 19-20fps when my 6990m was starting at 29-30fps. I know the 7970m should be in the upper 50's or 60's if not higher.

8. JoeyFUZZ911

Reputations:
    alright i found the problem. My clocks are locked at 300/150. dont know how. tried alittle overclock to 900/1400 and it didnt do much. By this i mean i see 850/1200 but hwinfo and msi afterburner both show 300/150.

How do i get those clocks back to default???????

9. The Revelator

The Revelator Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I ordered the 7970M directly from Dell through email to AWUpgrades@dell.com, as recommended by AW support reps in the forum. Got a telephone response late the next business day and placed the order without any hassle about the 7970M not being supported in the R3 that you (or at least I) tend to get from the general Dell parts regime. Supposed to ship Friday. :)

10. juliant

juliant Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just to let you guys know about the 'dim' issue. It is nothing to do with the GPU.

It's the compatibility of R3 and the driver. Why am I saying this? I have tried 3 7970m GPU's. All 3 had the same vbios but manufactured in different timings (different dates). And yes, those are Dell cards.

Other than that, I do not see any other problem. When I say 'dim' issue:

1. It is readable;

2. At about 70%-80% brightness;

3. After computer turns on, you have to keep it in sleep mode for about 5 seconds and your brightness is up to 100%.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.