[GUIDE] Installing and Overclocking the AMD Mobility 7970 in the M17x R3,an illustrated guide

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by SlickDude80, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SlickDude80

SlickDude80 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Rev, thanks for the info

i see that your R3 has gone through a transformation of sorts

2. The Revelator

The Revelator Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yep, my 580M died, now awaiting a 7970M. Had to return everything to stock in anticipation of having to replace the motherboard under warranty, but it turned out to be the 580M instead of the mobo, although it acted exactly the same. Fooled both Dell and me. Will go back to the 2920XM after I install the 7970M, but wanted to see how it did with the 2820 first. Be nice to forget about CPU heat issues for a while. I should be following in your footsteps very soon. :)

3. SlickDude80

Reputations:
    yikes...I'm guessing you overvolted to .92v?

Is dell replacing your 580 with the 7970m? Cause that seems like a good deal if they are

4. The Revelator

Reputations:
    No, it was at .87v and under no stress when it died. Had been watching Netflix for 4 hours or so, then checking the forum, when I got the black screen shutdown -- no power, PSU light out, no life whatsoever. Tried all the usual steps to revive. Nothing. Looked like a dead mobo; talked to Dell, they agreed and scheduled an in-home replacement for two days later. I returned everything to stock (2820/6990M) to get ready for the visit, but once that was done I plugged it in, expecting nothing. Darn thing came to life and tried to boot! It reported that the power adapter was not approved and was less than 150W, but continued. I replaced the PSU with a spare 240W I had and that suited it. It was a long mess after that, but I eventually nursed it back to life after blind flashing the BIOS, replacing the CMOS battery, getting the proper drivers installed, etc. After all that was done, I ran the built-in diagnostics. Everything checked out. I had to try reinstalling the 580M. Absolutely dead again. I've never seen a dead video card have that result. Learn something new about these things every day. Put the 6990M back in and every thing returned to normal, and it has operated perfectly for about a week now. Have no idea what caused the 580M to die. It was a Dell card, but unfortunately was purchased from a third party, so no warranty on this one.

5. SlickDude80

Reputations:
    Sorry for your loss...

i guess this has forced your hand into getting a next gen card...seems like there will be a happy ending here ;)

6. The Revelator

Reputations:
    You're exactly right. It was planned anyway. I've been waiting to see how the 680M worked with the R3, but both the uncertain compatibility and the price premium makes it hard to justify for an older notebook. I'll have to put off the 680M until I feel the need to upgrade to a R4 or M18x-R2. Until then, the 7970M should give this one new life and be fun to play with.

7. SlickDude80

Reputations:
    looking into my crystal ball, I see many days of tweaking ahead of you lol...

the 7970m should be more than adequate...from what i see, 680m scores 300-400 more points but is quite even in games

8. The Revelator

Reputations:
    That's how I see it too, but I'm going to miss that Nvidia driver support.

9. crosslimit

crosslimit Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey slick, maybe you can help me. I know this must have been asked countles times but somehow i cant overclock my 7970 in my clevo machine. when i navigate to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    there are no 0000, 0001, 0003... etc subfolders, only a subfolder called "properties" which doesnt help me at all...

does anyone know what the issue is here?

10. airacutie

airacutie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey mate, where did you ordered 7970m card? Directly from Dell, eBay, or somewhere else?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.