[GUIDE] Installing and Overclocking the AMD Mobility 7970 in the M17x R3,an illustrated guide

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by SlickDude80, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BELL_IVY

BELL_IVY Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    yes i have it.
    i want to play BF3

2. airacutie

airacutie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    thx, 7970 and 680 are available on eBay now.

3. SkylineLvr

SkylineLvr Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can you play on stock clocks without any issue? Have you tried lowering your clocks?

I have an issue with Crysis 2. I can only OC to 900/1350 on that game. Although I play it on stock clocks on Ultra settings. Any other game I can OC to 950/1500+ without any issues.

4. ADegtyarev

ADegtyarev Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    For the installation do we need to have the A08 unlocked bios (as mentioned in this guide) or would the most recent one from dell be better (A10)? Just wondering because upgradeyourlaptop instructions for installing a 7970m (from ebay upgrade kit for alienware page) said to update bios to latest version from manufacturer before installing the card. Also has anyone tried installation from upgradeyourlaptop steps, is it reliable?

5. SlickDude80

SlickDude80 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    THe problem with A10 is that it isn't unlocked and it downgrades your SATA's to SATA2 instead of SATA3

Stick with the A08 unlocked...if it isn't unlocked, you can't disable the integrated graphics which will lead to problems for you.

i don't know what the instructions are from eurocom, but it can't be much different than mine..except for the part at the beginning to disable integrated graphics in the R3

6. juliant

juliant Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So, whatever it is SlickDude80, nobody has tried the 7970m with the A10 bios and had it working successfully?!

I can put up with the switchable GPU (not really matters) but the brightness issue I cannot stand... I wish that we can have a fix shortly. I have tried everything possible including hdinfo, only what works is to keep the system on standby for few seconds and then will be ok.

7. SlickDude80

Reputations:
    Geocake tried to enable integrated graphics when he got his hands on the clevo driver (with enduro enabled) and it was black screen city.

Are you on 12.7? That has made my screen brighter...not perfect, but good enough as I usually turn it down anyways to relieve the stress on my gaming eyes

I don't know anyone who has the card running on A10...but if you have a saturday where you're not doing anything lol...

8. juliant

juliant Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My screen is bright enough (just like it should be), only after I put the system on standby for few seconds and back on (and this is not always).

Switching between the integrated and dedicated is not an issue (you can always do that from bios if you really need that), only the bright issue if it is solved will be great.

Maybe we should put this sticky on this thread page so that we may be lucky to get some help in fixing it...

My screen now again has gone a bit darker (it is readable but not acceptable, maybe in the dark will do) after leaving it on standby for about an hour.

And yes SlickDude80, I am on 12.7 beta (desktop) driver and the matter is not solved.

9. SlickDude80

Reputations:
    i think the only way it will get solved is if you enable the igp...but it could be a headache if things go bad.

For now, 12.7 has made my screen brighter compared to 12.5...not perfect, but better

10. The Revelator

The Revelator Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Actually, there is an unlocked A10 BIOS for the R3, thanks to svl7 and Bios-Mods. Not widely used, probably because of the SATA 3 downgrade issue, but it works fine, looks just like unlocked A08. I'm using it now to test. M17xR3_Unlocked_A10_Bios_Full.zip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.